Star Trek Novels

I read a novel that put the TOS characters – Spock, actually – back in time, on Earth… in the Here Come the Brides universe. Kind of funny, in that Mark Lenard played Aaron Stempel in the HCtB TV series.

[QUOTE=ivylass]
I haven’t read many, but I did highly enjoy Spock’s World./QUOTE]

One thing I remember about that book that made me raise an eyebrow was a scene where Kirk? was addressing the Vulcan council or assembly or whatever. He makes a joke and they laugh. I remember that Vulcan assembly as being a lot more emotional than you’d expect a Vulcan assembly to be.

One of the books I liked, though, and I think it was Diane Duane, was a Next Generation book set in the Mirror Universe. I remember evil-Troi had some sort of telepathic mindwhip or something.

Dark Mirror

Well, I’ve only gotten as far as Stone and Anvil, since I’m a cheapskate and wait for them to come out in paperback before I buy 'em. But Zak has

…gone through puberty, which has caused him to mote, become more articulate, and generally be more civil than his previous surly, sarcastic self. He’s now a Brikar copy of Ensign Janos.

But then, compared to the stuff that’s happened to Morgan, McHenry, and two other second-tier characters in the novels after Being Human, it’s not really that much. But it bugs me, just because I liked Zak as he was…

And this is different than anything out of the franchise in the last ten years how? (I know, I know…)
Anyway, I’ve got to thank DrFidelius for bringing up perhaps the two finest Star Trek novels written.

Yeah, I can see where that’d be annoying. Kebron’s one of my favorites too and I loved his surliness.

It’s really amazing that between Shelby, Calhoun, Cwan, Kebron, and Janos, that David was able to keep their personalities distinct as they’re all obviously variations on a theme. He’s gone and ruined it now. Bleh.

I might not like TOS but as a completist, I can start naming off plenty of examples of the beloved Original Series doing the same – and much more obviously: IDIC, anyone? – for years before even TNG began airing.

But to answer your question: the DS9 Relaunch; New Frontier; and Deep Space Nine after it became its own show and not TNG-lite are all good examples.

I don’t read many trek novels, but really enjoyed William Shatners books.

My crticisms are:

1. the hokey way that he brought Kirk back from the dead after the events in “Generations”,

2. the fact that Kirk always wins and always beats the TNG, DS9 characters.

Other than that I tend to just watch the films and tv series (except enterprise which I don’t enjoy)

Even though I will always have an immense amount of adoration for TOS, I have enjoyed (mostly) all the other series and movies, even the bad ones.

Can’t say the same about the novels, though. It always seemed to be that whenever I actually got a stellar Trek book, the next nine in a row would end up as toilet paper, they were so bad. It looked like the standards would be dropped just to get another Trek book on the shelves, for God forbid a month would go by with no new book.

Now that we this interwebby thingy, though, I can just ask you guys for reccommendations. Which I have and I am quite pleased with the lack of worthless shit offered by youse guys.

Sir, you are employing a double negative.

I think.

On another note, I really liked the ‘Voyager: homecoming’ and the part 2 for it… (the farther shore??) Seemed a nice way to say goodbye to those characters in the midst of an adventure on earth and a few other nearby planets. The finale always seemed a little abrupt to me… they just have time to say “hi, it’s good to be back” and the series was over. (sigh.)

And… I routinely split infinitives that no man has split…

BEFORE!

[QUOTE=AHunter3]
Voyager:

Now that’s interesting. Mack Reynolds, of all people, writing an ST novel. They must have only offered it to kids, because I never heard of it or saw it at the time, and I was quite tied in to TOS. I almost thought this was a hoax, but a quick google convinced me. Judging from the reviews, I’m not surprised that Mack Reynolds never wrote another one!

bricker, would that be “ishmael”? where spock ends up in frontier seattle. interacts with an ancestor?

robusensei, uhura’s song is one of the keepers on my shelf.

Ishmael, by Barbara Hambly. With cameos by characters from several other TV westerns.

I have the original. It was published as children’s lit by a publisher called Whitman, which did various TV adaptations (Star Trek being one among many).

It was quite good as a script. Would’ve made a very nice two-part TOS TV show. The reviews are a bit unfair. The dialogues are good, it relies on the regular characters almost exclusively (might be some redshirts in there), action unfolds nicely, even has some philosophical issues to resolve.

As I said, it’s a better read than Spock Must Die :slight_smile:

I actually used to buy all these novels until I realized I’d never have enough space for all my other books if I kept it up!
I haven’t read any in years but I have kept a lot. I have fond memories of Spock’s World, Between A Rock and Hard Place, Uhura’s Song and some others I just can’t think of right now…Too lazy to go take a look.

I have a bunch of VOY books in a bag in the garage but I haven’t read them. My brother bought them on clearance for 99 cents each, I think.