Star Trek tech features that logically should exist but didn't seem to

You’re going to have to explain why and how slightly modified thermal underwear is an appropriate choice for uniforms.

It was cold?

It is very cold in space. The best temperature to serve up revenge.

The revenge was not in ST I, though.

No, no. First off, it’s a blancmange. And second, it was nice and silky… until some idiot zapped it with a phaser. Disintegrated the pot and instantly coagulated the proteins in the cream-and-gelatin mixture.

If you prefer, it just accelerated it from “It’ll be ready when it’s ready” to “Damn, overdone again! No more weapons in the kitchen!”

A phaser is truly a terrifying weapon. A blast from it can almost burn a blancmange!

That’s because Khan was still stewing on Ceti Alpha V. It wasn’t cold enough yet.

That was Nomad’s Revenge.

What’s really sad about that is, I believe in one of the World of/Making of Star Trek books, they quoted someone on staff as saying “no matter how they describe the uniform of the future, it always sounds like long underwear.” And what do we get in the first return of Star Trek? Sheesh.

Though I found the security uniform, with the wrestling headgear, to be even more silly. And as for costume choices, McCoy should have worn underwear when he beamed on board, just sayin’.

I believe the correct title for that movie was “Star Trek: Where Nomad has Gone Before”, right?

Well, Spock did stroll onto the Enterprise wearing a bathrobe.

Well, his robe was big and fluffy, like he stole it from the Beverly Starfleet Hilton. McCoy’s trousers, to quote Iris Mountbatten, " left nothing… to the imagination. Everything was perfectly outlined."

HA!

We should all be happy for getting The Revenge of Nomad, because Roddenberry’s choice of story for TMP was that the Enterprise meet God. Thank goodness we never got THAT movie! Oh wait…

The transporter could be used to solve every medical problem. You could just create save points like on windows, and if you get sick or injured you just transport and when you arrive it rearranges you as you were back when you were healthy.

Even if you don’t have a save point, the computers are advanced enough they can rearrange your atoms into a version of you that is healthy.

Also androids like Data are far far more competent than any of the humans on the ship. Androids should be the only crewmen on the ship.

Everyone should be more like Data. People should start off getting cybernietic implants that allow interface with computer networks. Eventually, we can all become interconnected. One mind. It would eliminate conflict.

We could all be assimilated!

Yeah! GO SPARTANS!!! WOOHOO!!! :muscle:

But what if I resist this process?

One thing I never bought about star trek was how the federation held off the Borg. The Borg would’ve wiped the floor with the entire federation a long time ago. At least in Voyager they said that Q stopped the Borg from taking over the federation.

As I recall, the Enterprise finally defeated the Borg by installing Windows 98 in their Cube.

That’s one of the biggest issues with Trek IMO, that all these separately-evolved intelligences are so evenly matched.
There should be a couple badass species that humans just have to learn to get out of the way of.

The Borg were this for a short time, but the writers couldn’t help overusing them, and inevitably watering down their threat.

There are at least…three, I think, different methods of suspended animation/stasis available, one of which is centuries old. None of which seem to be commonly used when there’s a medical emergency, the patient is on the verge of death, and/or sickbay is short staffed.

“What I think we should do is just freeze him. I mean, he’s got a disease. Why don’t we stop it where it is? He can always get to a doctor when we get back home.”

Also, considering the state of prosthetics, life support, tissue regeneration, tissue cloning, etc., etc…basically anything that leaves an intact brain should be a survivable injury. And not necessarily a career-ending injury, even.

(Which quietly leads into my own theory that the new agey “accept death as a part of life” philosophy of early TNG was part of a societal mechanism to check the growth of a largely non-productive population.

Best Case Scenario: it’s a naturally emergent property of a prosperous, but a bit decadent civilization.

Worst Case Scenario: it was engineered by Section 31.)

I prefer Star Trek: The Slow Motion Picture.

Star Trek: The Slow Motion Picture
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan’s Pecs
Star Trek III: The Search for More Money
Star Trek IV: Save the Whales, Man
Star Trek V: Shatner Happens
Star Trek VI: The Apology