Star Trek tech features that logically should exist but didn't seem to

Nice!

I’m not coming to any parties at your place.

BIP: In ST: Generations (and I assume elsewhere), they had these hand lights. Come on! Even I have several of these babies to free up my hands (My older dogs wear them around their necks at night for walks.).

Torches are kind of silly. In the future, the military will co-opt an invention that creates a vision energy field: instead of casting a spray of photons, it will raise the energy level of everything in its scope, causing everything to glow. Hence, you will be able to make what you want to see visible without pointing out where you are to anyone who might be looking for you.

They do this on Star Trek Discovery now.

That doesn’t make it better

I believe that the lights dimmed or Geordi noticed a power surge or something to indicate that it a little bit of extra effort.

Where do they have long, static discussions laying out important plot points if they don’t use a turbolift? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

They’re too preoccupied doing shrooms

Discovery still has turbolifts, though. Which apparently, if you believe that ridiculous action scene in the last episode, occupy a pocket dimension inside the ship that is very clearly much larger than the ship itself could possibly be. Soooo much empty space.

You’d think they’d use this pocket dimension tech for more things.

I think that’s a misunderstanding. When human personalities are downloaded into Data’s hardware, they work just fine. And Data himself isn’t actually too bad at full on mimicry of human personalities.

It seems to me that Data just wants his own personality. And that personality had its emotions intentionally removed by its creator, replacing them with “ethical subroutines.” The previous model, Lore, did have emotions and no ethics, so he wound up selling out the human colony to the Crystaline Entity.

It seems to me that Data is an emergent intelligence. He’s an AI whose intelligence was shaped by his creator, but not actually programmed. And the only way the creator could insure he would behave ethically was to make sure emotions wouldn’t cause problems. He instead decided to create a special chip that could give emotions separately, but hadn’t finished said chip by the time the colony had been abandoned and Data was found.

It seems to me that Data doesn’t want to be just a mimic of a human, like the “people” on the holodeck, which (with a few exceptions) have no real emotions, just programs that act like them. Data wants his own personality.

(The exceptions are the few holograms that show sapience. But those cases are mostly accidental: Moriarty, Vic Fontaine, Voyager’s EMH, and possibly the people in Fair Haven. The only known intentionally designed sapient hologram that I know if was Minuet, and that was only due to the Bynars programming and system upgrade. It seems that most holograms are specifically designed to not become sapient. Data was designed to be sapient from the get-go.)

I think the point about all these computers and AIs is that with them around, there shouldn’t be so much human labor needed. The Enterprise’s computer was capable of creating an AI capable of defeating Data, so the computer must be more powerful than Data. Moriarty, Vic Fontaine, et al are sentient, behave in a way indistinguishable from real live humans, are capable of performing complex cognitive tasks and making decisions on the fly, etc. So why can’t the ship’s computer largely run the ship itself? Why does O’Brien need to manually operate the transporter by moving some sliders? Why are there so many crewmen walking around checking readouts, pushing buttons, keying in commands, and pulling levers? Give what we’re shown, the computers of the time should be more than capable of doing all that.

I am not talking about an Arnold Rimmer type hologram but more of the kind of thing that is generated on the holodeck, actually substantial. You could have your breast support/containment, and none of the straps digging into your skin.

Starfleet is LARPing.

The operation of the conveyor transporter is more art than science.
:wink:

Or a near-foolproof way of manually ejecting the damn thing…

There should be a ton of cyber-enhancements in the future.

Communicators are ridiculously primitive compared to cell-phones*. Hell, tricorders and communicators should be combined.

I can headcanon away most stuff that i wonr bother to mention, but still cant think of a good reason for the Bridge to be where it is.

NO ONE should ever be able to breach the bridge physically through those things. Talk about funneling your opponents.

“Vidians come out…Zap…more VIdians…ZAP…Vidians start to pile up, No one can even get in.”

I put that down to all that stuff Picard says about humans wanting to better themselves. We actually do see that it only takes two people to fly the ship in a couple episodes. So everyone else must be there because they want to be.

That also conveniently explains the bridge officers being on away missions. They’re the ones who earned the right to do that. They want the risk.

Heck, if we go back to Kirk’s time, we know that they often somehow get revived. (The same actors, even sometimes with the same names, will often reappear) :stuck_out_tongue:

Unless they really did do an episode and i missed it:

ENT really missed an opportunity in not having an episode where Phlox says, “Why don’t I just whip up some cloned organs tout suite and we can heal Crewman Bob here”, and of course the humans retort with some moral revulsion.

Phlox: “How quiant. Then perhaps some gentic manip…”
Archer: “YOURE INSANE!!! LOCK HIM UP!!”

Yeah, maybe, though there’s no guarantee that the holodeck would make comfortable clothes. We know it can barely handle making something as porous as lungs, only being able to do it if the person stays perfectly still.

Still, that’s not really a problem. You could just wear comfortable, functional clothes, and have the others projected on. Heck, we’ve actually seen that happen before—Riker was wearing his uniform in the last episode of Enterprise. And, when playing Captain Proton, black-and white-versions of the officers are projected on to them (even if they do otherwise choose to get dressed up).

My only conclusion is that people like dressing up for their LARPing on the Holodeck. They have the replicators, and find it fun.

(Of course, the real life reason is for effects. It’s easier to have your actor fully clothed in front of a blue/greenscreen whenever you make the background holograms appear, disappear, or change. Having the actor hold a pose, then change, then come back and hit that exact same pose would be a lot more work.)

Have they ever shown transporter technology being used in a medical situation? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen various Star Fleet doctors performing surgery. You’d think it would be safer to remove a tumor or whatever by transporting it out of the patient’s body.

A few incidences that I recall:

• In the TNG episode “Unnatural Selection”, the crew of the Enterprise use the transporter to cure Dr. Pulaski of an aging disease

• In the DS9 episode “Body Parts”, it is implied, but not explicitly stated, that Bashir beamed Keiko’s unborn baby into Kira’s womb

• In the Voyager episode “Deadlock”, the EMH transports Samantha Wildman’s baby into an incubator

As to why transporters aren’t used more often for medical situations, I guess an in-universe explanation is that the doctors can’t get a precise enough transporter lock, which incurs the risk of damaging other organs.