Star Trek (TOS)

Not true.

Believe or not, my late older brother remarked to our Mom as we were watching an episode “You know what would be a good place for them to go? The Crucifixion.”

ISTR that mirror universe Uhura’s costume showed her navel as well.

The censors didn’t want an inter-racial kiss, either, but they managed to slip one of those in, too.

Even in my dorms in the late 80s/early 90s, it definitely had crowds on one of the TVs. I want to say 6 pm, so you’d either eat before or after ST if you were a nerd. And then you’d have time to do your student groups or more studying, or beer

That is a mixed bag. I appreciate that they fixed the weird issues of scale, but replacing the original sparkly effect with a steady orange glow was straight up wrong. They needed to do something at least as weird and terrifying as the original was, but turning it into a big cigar was just not it.

I would sometimes join the crowd that watched it in a dorm lounge at the University of Minnesota back around 1973. I had to keep from reciting every line in advance under my breath in order not to alienate everyone else.

You should have taken the risk. On some of those episodes, you might have been able to anticipate MST3K by fifteen years. It’s been quite helpful in getting me through Season 1.

That still is from “The Cloud Minders,” a third season episode. I think the standards were a little less strict in 1969 than they were just three years earlier.

There was side boob shot in “A Private Little War” (a second season episode) when Nona (Nancy Kovack) was bathing under a waterfall. Justman got it past the censor by tacking on an additional ten feet of film. When Bob was ordered to shorten the scene, he simply got rid of the extra footage, restoring the original cut.

Hey, now! Even as a child I had the hots for France Nuyen.

It was a women’s dorm, so I had a vested interest in staying on their good side. :wink:

Two. France Nuyen, of Vietnamese descent, kisses Kirk in Elaan of Troyius.

Three. Shatner and Barbara Luna (of Hispanic and Philippine descent) were pretty hot and heavy in “Mirror, Mirror.”

Yeah, but we all know the one that had everyone up in arms and got the episode banned in the Deep South was the one where Kirk and Uhura trade spit.

Recommendations to the OP:

• Do watch them all, just know that some episodes are worse than others. A lot of the 3rd season is pretty weak. But it is worth watching them all just “because”. (you can’t appreciate the hatred for “Spock’s Brain” unless you’ve actually seen it yourself - hearing about it isn’t enough).

• Once you’ve watched them all, watch “Galaxy Quest”. I don’t know if you saw this before, but it won’t be near as entertaining as after you’ve watched TOS.

Enjoy

Oh, I watched “Spock’s Brain.” In fact, it was another thread that led me to search for that, and that made me aware that the entire oeuvre was available at my fingertips.

And I’ve been a Doper long enough to be thoroughly entertained by “Galaxy Quest.” Some things you just pick up by osmosis.

It was cancelled because NBC when forced to renew it when we wrote tons of letters put it on in the worst time slot on Friday for that kind of show. That caused Roddenberry to basically dump it. Which is clear from the quality of most of the third season.

Definitely not invented by him, since you can see similar on almost any cover of the old Planet Stories and its ilk. Someone once described these clothes as being held on by wisps of cloth with the strength of cast iron.

I recently finished re-watching all the episodes on Netflix. I didn’t like the fact that they re-did the special effects. I really would have preferred the original in all its tacky glory. I mean, this is a star ship in which the controls look like a Playskool Busy Box.. The modern CGI was jarring.

“Spock’s Brain” is the jumping off point for Swear Trek’s masterpiece: “Spock’s Dick.”

Just remember that George Takei once described Galaxy Quest as “a chillingly accurate documentary.” :smiley: