Starfleet newest ship U.S.S. "Exterminator"

Railguns eh? It shouldn’t be too hard to get a shot going .99 C. Maybe you could have a built in warp core so it slams into an enemy at warp. It would be really wasteful but I don’t think any ship could last long against it. You’d only need to fire it once and then finish the ship off with torpedos and lasers.

I like the idea of holograms replacing injured personel is a good idea, but I don’t think having projecters all over the ship is worth it. Its far too, passive. This is a war ship right? How about portable turrets? Why not have mobile projectors like the Hirogen had in the ST-V episodes? Just set one up and let the holograms take care of intruders. If it gets destroyed just beam in another one.

Marines? You mean we can stop using slow witted security guards? It sounds to good to be true! Lets give them some type of armour instead of speedos ok?

The attack shuttles are a good idea. However they should be more like Interceptors for Starcraft. Small and with fairly weak fire power. However if you have a lot of them swarming a ship they could be devastating. Plus if some get blown up you can just replicate a new ones.

Anyone working on schematics?

Railguns eh? It shouldn’t be too hard to get a shot going .99 C. Maybe you could have a built in warp core so it slams into an enemy at warp. It would be really wasteful but I don’t think any ship could last long against it. You’d only need to fire it once and then finish the ship off with torpedos and lasers.

I like the idea of holograms replacing injured personel is a good idea, but I don’t think having projecters all over the ship is worth it. Its far too, passive. This is a war ship right? How about portable turrets? Why not have mobile projectors like the Hirogen had in the ST-V episodes? Just set one up and let the holograms take care of intruders. If it gets destroyed just beam in another one.

Marines? You mean we can stop using slow witted security guards? It sounds to good to be true! Lets give them some type of armour instead of speedos ok?

The attack shuttles are a good idea. However they should be more like Interceptors for Starcraft. Small and with fairly weak fire power. However if you have a lot of them swarming a ship they could be devastating. Plus if some get blown up you can just replicate a new ones.

Anyone working on schematics?

Dammit! I was going for the longest time without a double post record! I only clicked once!

Landing parties will be equipped with devices known as Voice Activated Microphones and Television Cameras. They will be on whenever the group has beamed down . A room called the COMBAT INFORMATION CENTER. will be monitoring the landing party 24/7 . An officer will be standing by with is finger on the transporter button ready to act without having to wait for someone to pull out a communictor and call for help.

File under “redundant life support”:
By the 24th century, they should have a nuclear-battery operated device that will reduce carbon dioxide back into oxygen and carbon, with a service life of years. They should NEVER “run out of” breathable oxygen.

Either holodeck characters should be obvious similacrums with no more intelligence than the main computer, OR the show should deal with the fact that they can create human-level sentience on demand.

The Federation’s humanist ethics be damned, they should have a lot more cybernetic and genetic modification of people. Especially given the casuality rate for deep space exploration, they need every advantage they can get.

Yes Audit. And battles wouldn’t be managed by a captain (whose job is to manage the ship) there would be and admiral bridge in the flag ship where the man and all his staff would run the battle, perhaps in a holodeck, I know I proposed the elimination of that room but banging troi is worth the risk :slight_smile:

AFAIK, you’re the only person on the boards who has EVER changed a position based on my arguement. I am soo proud! :smiley:

Am I to assume then that you want to dispense with the quadruple failsafe backup for the artificial gravity, which has worked so well that they haven’t had a artificial gravity failure, even when every other system on the ship is knocked out, since at least the Kirk Era (it did happen once on a Klingon vessel, because of deliberate sabotage)?

One of my biggest pet peeves. They really should have dealt with this issue back when they introduced Data.

Now I have a technical question. If you ran a holo-program featuring Counselor Troi, naked, would she be, ah, anatomically correct? I mean in terms of birthmarks, scars etc. Could you use this feature to check her out before you ask her to Data’s concert? Could she use it to find out if you have back hair or are, ah, sufficiently endowed?

I’d rig up a sickbay that could generate at least a dozen EMH programs simultaneously. I’ve never understood why it’s only possible to have one “doctor” at a time. Maybe they can’t run multiple instances because they’re using Win95. I’d fix that, too.

Or better yet… how about one of those newfangled Remote Control Clicker Thingies[sup]TM[/sup] that activates the transporter from afar…

AS well as spikes and severed heads, the exterior of the ship should be “skinnable” - that is to say, we can use holotechnology combines with cloak technology to make the whole thing look like a giant bumhole if we so wish. This would provide another way of communicating with species the universal translators can’t figure out.

I’d line the hallways and major rooms with holoemitters, and implement the “Emergency Ass-kicking Hologram.”

He’s made out of forcefields (as are all the holograms), so he’s indestructible. He’ll stalk the ship in times of trouble and beat the crap out of any boarding parties that try to take over. He’ll have full camoflague ability and tie into the interior sensor network so he’ll know who’s where on the ship. Hidden speakers will play on command a selection of ass-kickin’ tunes (from the Shaft theme to the lobby gunfight music from The Matrix) anywhere within a twenty foot radius of his form. Default appearance will be Bruce Campbell’s head on Arnold Shwartzenegger’s body.

This is actually more a legal/political question than a technical one. The ship’s computer would have an anatomically correct and accurate record of the delicious counselor, which would be accessible through her medical records.

[Hijack]
IF the holodeck computer is allowed to access them. Not only that, her psychological profile data could be used to generate predictive responses to various stimuli. If the system can use enough data, it could create a Counselor Troi “simulator” for users to practice on. Seems to me like a win-win situation for all parties. You try out the simulator in “real” mode, and discover approaches and techniques likely to work on the real counselor. Maybe you discover there is no “real” solution in your case to the “Score with the Counselor” problem, much like the Academy Kobayasi Maru (sp?) problem. But you can still step down the reality mode difficulty level to “easy” and do what you like. Similarly, you could try out every other crewmember for compatibility and whatever before approaching the real one in the real ship. Should make dating much easier!

So how do Starfleet and the Federation treat privacy issues? [/Hijack].

Hammish

I have always thought the medical facilites were nonsense. Especially on Next Gen. McCoy had mostly humans on his ship but Beverly is well versed in the medical treatment of so many species that she would have to be in med school for a hundred years. So a much larger medical staff is really called expecially if the ship as multiple species on it.

audit1: You snagged the name “Combat Information Center” already, but I had the idea for a secondary bridge, used mainly when the ship went into battle. There would be specialized stations for Countermeasures, Threat Assessment and Internal Tactical (to coordinate against any boarding parties, leaving the main Tactical officer free to deal with outside threats).

Hull breaches are dealt with using emergency forcefields, which might sound wasteful of energy, but then using a transporter to transport large masses of metal to plug the holes seems more so.

Phasers can rapid fire, just rarely seem to. A good example is TNG: Conundrum, where the ship fires four rapid shots to take out some small fighter/drones. As for hand phasers, rapid fire to take out a large number of enemy targets is unnecessary; you can adjust it to wide-beam and just send them all night-night with one shot.

Security teams: sigh Yes, I too am sick of the endless “dead redshirt” syndrome. My security guys would either be able to shoot the wings off a fly at fifty meters, beat up Chuck Norris and Steven Seagel and spank 'em till they cried for mama, or be able to take a disrupter hit to the chest, say “ow” and then literally disarm the guy and beat him with the wet end. Starfleet BAMF: when you got to take out every MFing Romulan on the planet; accept no substitutes.

Holodecks: Far overused as a plot device, but still serve a real purpose. Hey, after weeks and months in space, crew efficiency would really slack off without some major release.

Rail gun: most of the armchair physicists here might disagree with me, but a phaser mount would probably take up less room, be easier to repair, able to change firing vectors quicker, etc.

Seatbelts: As I recall, the early TOS movies did have some chair support that snapped shut over the thighs in an emergency situation.

Armor: Yes, this would be a good idea, if not a full armored suit, then the sort seen in ST:TMP and (I believe) ST:STFS. Added head protection, a chest plate, and possibly a small forcefield generator allowing for short-term protection.
yojimboguy: As we saw in TNG: “Hollow Pursuits” there was (at that time) no Starfleet protocol that prevented one from making simulations of other people on board your ship. Troi, of course, was all for Barclay indulging his fantasy life – unless she came a cropper with the “Goddess of Empathy…” The look on her face, I could frame it and hang it on my wall. :slight_smile:

The “EA-KH” is actually a cute idea, and semi-workable if you want to devote that much dedicated processing power to it. I really did like the holographic “false corridor” idea (“OK, down this junction he–” BONNNNKK!) :smiley:

I would cover the entire hull with flak phasers to shoot flak bolts at incoming torpedoes.

Hey a lot of excelent ideas, can we mail them to those morons who write episodes like “Endgame”? (I was never more dissapointed with tv).

Or, for that matter, The Wrath of Kahn, where Kahn’s failure to think in three dimensions proves his undoing in the final battle in the nebula (granted, the Enterprise remained oriented on the same plane, but the strategic importance of three dimensional space nontheless proved critical).

Not a new term–every U.S. Navy surface ship has a Combat Information Center (CIC), under the leadership of the Tactical Action Officer (TAO). This is the darkened room with all of the radars and displays, separate from the bridge.

On the other hand, for submarines, there is only the one “control room,” which functions as the bridge/CIC while submerged.