State of Kansas wants to destroy restored 1959 Corvette because wrong rivets used to reattach VIN tag

This is correct: it is re-stating your poor analogy.

• To openly use a vehicle for it’s end purpose (getting you from point “A” to “B” on a public conveyance where your existence is not subject to privacy), while interacting with others in public (other drivers), it must be taxed and registered (acknowledgement through the state), and part of that process includes proof of legal ownership.

• Your laptop may or may not be used openly (e.g. in the privacy of your own home), nor on a public conveyance (your internet service provider is a private corporation’s asset, and you have an expectation of privacy), to communicate (not a taxable event), on a message board (another private corporation’s asset).

Bottom line, is that you are applying a faulty analogy to completely separate expectations of privacy.

After watching the video. . . again, there’s a lot missing from the reporting. Something just doesn’t add up, specifically which Kansas law was ‘violated.’ I’m not saying it’s a good law, or a bad law, but I do think whatever “law” (but I suspect it’s more of a policy) is obviously being too-narrowly applied by some myopically-bureaucratic process. Does anyone know what “law” is being used?

I am gonna go out on a limb here and fault the purchaser for not doing his homework on what he could/should have imported across state lines. I had to do similar ‘homework’ when I wanted to take some of my collectible firearms to my folk’s state for some plinking with Pop. Some of those firearms (legally purchased, Class III) would have been immediately impounded had I been stopped by police. I’m glad I didn’t take them home to NJ.

I also gotta wonder if this whole ‘taking’ thing would be considered a civil forfeiture action on contraband.

Tripler
Poor dude may be out $50k at the expense of a $1k lawyer consult.

Be sure to walk and feed the dog, Dot.

It seems to me that this whole thing arose from people trying to have it both ways. If this is a “genuine classic car”, by virtue of having the VIN from an original classic car, and the state of Kansas crushes that car into a cube, they haven’t destroyed the car. You could still peel apart the scrap cube and extract the VIN plate, bolt it onto some other steel, and still have that same classic car.

And if just having that VIN doesn’t make it a “genuine classic car”, then why the heck did this guy bolt on a new VIN?

it’s pretty routine for sports cars of that era have replaced engine blocks or even entire engines. As for the VIN number it should be traceable. It’s unique to the vehicle. If it can be reasonably established that it’s genuine in court that should be the end of it.