Stealing cars in Hawai'i

Derleth, I apologize. Just a wisecrack.

I’ve see your from Montana. I’ve been there. 100mph is eminently doable and sensible.

In any case **handy[/]‘s point was that though it may seem "small’ by Montanan standards, the major islands like Hawaii, Oahu and Maui ARE considerable pieces of real-estate. It’s not like you could just have the police department link hands at one end of the island then walk across, to find a sotlen car, or like a person will absolutely run out of places to go hide and roads to drive on within one hour, or even four. Now, some places in the continent you HAVE to drive four hours doing 100 to get anywhere just because there’s nothing there… :wink:

Except this May 2002 CNN report. Actually this Car Talk column explains the discrepancy: if you compare the total number of cars stolen then Camry is the most stolen car, but if you compare theft per 1000 registered vehicles then the Acura Integra tops the list.

Er, the road to Hana is probably at least a four hour drive. It’s notoriously a curvy, hairpin-laden road. You’re lucky if you can hit 30 mph for any significant distance. Island distances are not comparable in the least to interstate highway distances.

If someone is planning to drive 100 mph on the road to Hana, please advise the authorities so they can get a helicopter ready to pull the charred remains of your car out of a ravine.

Also have a will made out before attempting such an endeavor. You will also need to have the entire highway cleared for you to since there are numerous sections where the road only has one lane.

I usually go 70 or so. Within the speed limit. 70 mph means 100 miles is doable in a little over an hour - hour and a half.

Of course, going 70 in the Rockies (or in the middle of any volcanic island) isn’t always advisable. But across the Big Empty, 70 is nothing. :smiley: