Stephen King MAINE stories ???

I read somewhere, may have been at Cracked, that every one of his books fit within the same Universe, and have consistent crossover continuity.

Quote:

From a Buick Eight is also set in Western Pennsylvania, Butler County, TBE. And King does a more creditable job of capturing the local atmosphere in this one.

I agree with this so hard.

I’m always surprised it isn’t required reading in any English classes I’m aware of. It’s a fantastically deep, well-written and literary novel. Any time I pick it up, I’m completely sucked in and have to read it all over again.

There’s a lot that takes place in New Hampshire, too, what with Greg Stillson, the presidential primary, etc.

Tabitha King’s 1993 teen romance/drama novel One on One is set in Maine, and there are references in it to both Derry and Castle Rock.

It’s required reading in this family. Or wil be, once my kids reach 16. ::evil grin::

Watch out – “Literature You Just Love” often skips a generation. Ask my kids about their profound appreciation of my Marvel comics from the 60s, or my hand-picked “Bestest Short Stories Ever, No, Really, At Least Try One!”

Don’t I know it, however I’ve been doing pretty well so far. My daughter’s favorite film (she’s almost 14) is Back to the Future, in which I introduced her to at 10. She loves Star Wars since she was in diapers, and every Thanksgiving, I like to watch all the LotR films. This was the first year she paid attention and became enraptured by it all, on first viewing.

She just finished Watership Down (the book), and loved it (one of my all time favs), and today I said to hell with it, and gave her The Long Walk. She agreed to read it; I can’t wait.

But yes, on some things, it’s like pulling teeth. Though, she’s beginning to realize, I think, that her old man knows a thing or two about good reading and movies.

One of the coolest parts about having kids is reliving these gems with them.

And another of her novels, Pearl has a character saying she’s too young to go to Shawshank. :smiley:

Or maybe it was too old…

Carrie takes place in Maine. (Chamberlain, Maine. You wouldn’t necessarily know that from the movie.)

The Mist.

Fran is from Maine in The Stand, so Maine is one of the locations in the novel.

For stories that don’t take place in Maine, I’d add Desperation.

Question’s been asked and answered, but I thought this flowchart might be of interest.

Isn’t Pet Cemetary set in Maine?

Ayuh.

Pearl and *One on One * are actually 2/3rds of a trilogy, the third book being Book of Reuben.