Steve Bannon - odds he will show up on Monday for his trial?

Is there an online cite for the judge’s ruling? Is it written, or was it just an oral ruling?

The linked article says the judge was ruling from the bench. That’s all I know.

It’s not a defense, and he wouldn’t be entitled to anything, but I think if he had showed actual contrition and gone to the committee to fulsomely comply with the subpoena right away after he was charged, it might have convinced the DOJ to drop the charges. It’s not like this is some major felony.

But what he did was wait eight months and then trickle out the possibility that he’ll tell the committee something, which just pissed everyone off.

Looks like he’s showing up.

So what happened yesterday at the trial?

As I understand it, Jury selection. And they still aren’t done, but they have narrowed the pool down significantly.

(In a high profile case, you might imagine how hard it is to find jurors who don’t have a preconceived opinion about the charges. Any potential juror who already “knows” that Bannon, or the government, is lying can’t effectively serve.)

snicker

@Northern_Piper , I’d expect @MacFarlaneNews on Twitter will be covering the blow-by-blow of Bannon’s court proceedings.

I like Glenn’s reporting:

sounds like we need to get more amish jurors in the jury poll for some trials.

Or at least people who’ve been out of circulation and away from media for years. How about Guantanamo prisoners?

Not just Amish jurors, but also Amish jurors that live in Washington DC.

It’s tough, because they keep referring to the judge as “Your English.”

Jury is seated and receiving instructions.

Looks like we’ll get opening arguments today.

I wouldn’t mind being selected once in my life for some major trial, tedious though much of it might be. But this, I don’t envy them.

It’ll be over by Friday.

I guess if I were in the jury pool I could say “I have already made my decision on whether he’s guilty, and no evidence presented at trial could possibly change my mind” without perjuring myself.

That’s pretty much how one juror got dismissed.

Another potential juror was tossed from the pool after he told the judge he watched all the select committee hearings, then criticized Republicans who say the election was stolen, and, looking toward Bannon, said, “I do believe he’s guilty.”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/18/politics/bannon-trial-begins-jan-6-subpoenas/index.html

As do I. Imagine having to look at that face for hours on end without pay.

Don’t underestimate the low information factor of people that don’t follow politics. I’m thinking that 95% of the people I know in real life don’t know that Steve Bannon was arrested for ignoring a congressional subpoena.

I bet a significant fraction of people don’t even know who Steve Bannon is.