Stolen WiFi: What was this guy complaining about?

I can’t even find any setting to automatically connect to unknown WiFi networks.

Um… did it sound like this: PrankDial - The Original Internet Prank Call Website ? It’s the top result on google for “angry caller stealing wifi”

Yes, in fact, it sounded exactly like that. So I think we can call this one officially solved, and all that’s left is to figure out exactly which of my shortlist of disgruntled students it was who sent it.

That’s what I was alluding to in post 9. Some of those record your reaction for your prankers amusement or at least they used to. The one whose number I called back was answered by a recording that said essentially “you’ve been pranked”.

Shoulda stuck with my gut on this one.

Well I liked your theory :slight_smile:

Seems this would be trivialy easy for you to validate - simply disconnect and forget your current WiFi router and then check logs after your phone detects it.

Play it safe; punish them all

Since the mystery has been solved this is too late but I am reminded about a joke/anecdote where a guy is awakened by a call at two in the morning from an irate neighbor, “Your GD dog has been barking all night and keeping me awake!”

He mumbled an apology then hung up. The next morning at two he called the neighbor back. “I have no dog.”

My phone is always doing that. Every time I glance at it while I’m at a red light it’s sitting there saying 'hey, buddy, there’s some wifi over there at the gas station…come on, just click the icon"

I’m not entirely sure if my phone will auto connect (as in, can reach the internet) on a network it’s never seen before, even if it’s unsecured. However, I’m guessing the MAC address from my phone still shows up on routers it sees. At least in the logs and possibly in the attached device list. As I mentioned earlier, I do see random devices in my connected devices list and logs and I always just assume it’s someone driving by.

There are handful of very easy things you can do to prevent someone from connecting (even if they’d guess/know your password).

No - I’m on Android. When it spots a new network it asks me if I want to connect. If I say yes, then it asks if I want to automatically connect in the future. If I say no, it does not attempt to do so - it lets me know it’s available, but does not automatically connect.