Stop honking your horn

I have no idea how to lock my Jetta without using the remote/key from the outside. I don’t want to know either (if there is a way); in the past, I had a habit of locking my keys in the car.

Sat^Gal has a 98 Beetle, and, to echo aruvqan, there are only 2 ways to lock the driver’s side door as you’re getting out of the car; either with the key fob (horn chirps to indicate armed alarm), or with the key inserted into the door lock (horn also chirps to indicate armed alarm.)
If you hit the button on the inside of the door while said door is open, the car will assume there’s a possibility that the keys are inside the vehicle, and not allow the door to lock.

As an aside, if the alarm is armed, and you pop the trunk (with the key fob), when you close the trunk, the horn will chirp to indicate…

And as another aside, if you unlock the car with the key fob, and don’t open the driver’s side door, after about 30 seconds (wag), the doors will lock again and alarm will arm.

These two asides are the only instances I can think of where it’s possible to lock the keys in the car… open trunk or passenger’s side door, toss (or inadvertently drop) keys into car, close trunk or door.

S^G

Mine, Ford Fiesta, locks the doors normally on the first press, and on the second deadlocks them, making it impossible to even move the door handles on the inside. (No alarm fitted.) Only the second action is indicated, by a flash of lights. Works fine for me.

I’ve collected a hire care from a place which had just had a delivery of a large number of new cars, which had been parked in any available spaces around the car park. The advice of the girl at the desk was simple - walk to the middle, and hit the ‘alarm’ button on the key. It certainly found the car quicker than wandering around comparing plates, and to her credit, at least there were no residential buildings nearby!

oh… umm… never mind…
<googles remedial reading classes>

On mine, locked with button inside = locked but security feature not armed.

Locked with remote lock button pushed once = locked but security feature not armed.

Locked with remote lock button puched twice = gives a little chirp to let you know that the door is locked and the security feature is armed.

This is one of those things that annoyed me, too, until I got a car that did it.

And now, like texting all day long, I have become what I beheld.

It reassures me that I have my keys in my hand, and it reassures me that my car is locked.

FWIW, it no longer annoys me when other people do it.

It isn’t a loud honk, either.

And if that bothers people at 4 in the morning when I get home from work, they can get me back by mowing their lawns and honking their own horns at 7 in the morning.

Oh, wait…they’ve been doing that all along…

One of the first things I did when I got my Charger was to change the settings so the horn doesn’t chirp and all doors unlock with one press. The lights still flash, so I can still be reassured, and it’s not annoying.

xxxxxxxxxx

My Nissan toots the horn if you want. I have the feature turned off. I have it flash the parking lights.

It has been VERY helpfull finding the car parked with hundreds of others on a pitch black morning.

Feel keys in hand > lock door and slam it shut.

Have done this on all manner of cars I’ve owned from 1972 vintage onwards. I tend not to lock my keys in.

Right. And who cares if it wakes up EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON trying to sleep nearby, that pitch-dark morning? :mad:

He’s already made an effort to be as unobtrusive as possible by turning off the horn. Not that you’d know but considering that he lives in a secluded mountain environment, I’d surmise the brief parking light flick occurs in a commercial venue. Hardly worth a chiding, really.

We were trying to enjoy a sidewalk table at a Mexican restaurant recently, but were having some difficulty when a worker there kept making trips out to her pick-up parked right in front of us and hitting her horn lock each time she departed. Four times we sat through that crap, that last time requiring I ask her to please refrain from engaging in any more repetitive, inconsiderate nonsense.

I’m afraid it’s like a lot of things in that it’s become such the norm, so ubiquitous an action, that some non-thinkers have become oblivious to the fact it’s really quite annoying.

Our car’s programmable too. 2nd press, soft chirp, so the confirmation’s there but electable on an as needed basis.

Like, the bums sleeping right next to the headlights?

Wrong on two counts.

1. This was in a field at the beginning of a triathlon. No residences nearby.
  2. As I said, I don’t use the horn. I just have it flash the parking lights.

Same. No car alarm here, and I can lock my door without the key. I’ve never locked my keys in the car, and I’ve never lost my car in a large parking lot. I must be doing something wrong.
Once I get a new job I may go shopping for a new car – I hope it doesn’t limit my options if I don’t want a car alarm.

I did the same with my car…why wouldn’t everyone?

The locks are so silent that I often press my Mazda keyfob lock button twice just to be sure, then you get the little “honk!” Only way to be sure unfortunately. I remember the older electric locks made a big “CLICK” that you could hear 10 feet from the car.

Same on mine. It might be possible to turn the chirp off, but I also need it when I forget where I parked, which is fairly often.

I thought that’s the way my car worked for a while (it didn’t have power locks), until I realized if I hold the inside or outside handle out, it allows me to push down the lock. :smack:

As far as the OP, I can understand the remote lock if you’re waiting for passengers to get out of the car and close all their doors before you remotely click the locks. The beep confirms it’s really locked.

All four of my cars have the keys in the ignition, ALL OF THE TIME. Come and get 'em!