Stop putting advertisement flyers on my door!

I’d just like to point out that it is unlikely that US law applies to New Zealand.

Huh?

I mean, i also get annoyed at these flyers, but the presence of one in a door is NOT necessarily an indication that no-one is home.

For example, the other day my wife and i were at home working all day. I finally left the house at about 5pm, to find a flyer in my door handle. Presumably that flyer had been there most of the day, and the house was definitely not empty.

Unless you think that anyone who happens to be home will automatically run out to grab the flyer as soon as it’s delivered, the presence of those flyers says nothing one way or the other about whether someone is at home or not.

I don’t know what you mean by “unaddressed mail”. If it doesn’t have an address, how does it get to your house?

Under US Postal Regulations, they must attempt to deliver every validly mailed piece of mail. So if the mailer paid the postage, and put an address on it, the postman must deliver it.

An address like “Occupant” or “Postal Customer in Zip Code 55406” are valid delivery addresses, so the postman has to deliver one piece to every postal customer. You putting a note on the mailbox has no effect on the postmans job requirements.
I can’t see how a “No unsolicited mail” sticker would mean anything to a postman. How is he supposed to know if you solicited each piece of mail? Is he supposed to take the time to look at every piece of mail and guess whether it’s one that you asked to get? Seems like that would take a whole lot of time!

This may surprise you, but not every country’s postal service operates in the same way as the United States Postal Service.

In some countries—including Australia (at least, when i lived there) and Canada (if cowgirl’s post is any indication)—you can, in fact, request not to receive mail that is not addressed to a particular individual. So, mail simply addressed to “Occupant,” or those awful store flyers that the US postal service delivers with such annoying regularity, would not get delivered.

Of course, some junk mail still gets through this system, because if the letter has your name on it then it will get delivered. But it reduces the amount of crap quite considerably.

I’m talking primarily about things that might be on the door 24, 48 even 72 hours after being placed there. By that time, anyone living in my apartment building would likely notice I wasn’t home (or else had died in my apartment), as would any of their frequently visiting friends, drug suppliers, etc. I’d just prefer that not everyone knew I was away when I was away. Why ask for trouble?

And this evening when I got home:

1. A car was (still is) parked in my reserved parking spot. If I was meaner I could call and they’d be towed. It pissed me off, because I had a lot of stuff to carry in and had to park aways away on top of some slippery ice.

2. I stepped in dog shit. I clean up after my dog, why can’t everyone else?

No need to respond, I don’t want to hijack my own thread!

I’m aware of that.

That’s why I’ve been careful to specify that I’m talking about US Postal Service in my answers.

Only a minimum of junk mail is delivered by NZ Post here in New Zealand. The vast majority are commercial flyers, free mags, local newspapers chock full of ads, and city council newsletters and notices, not delivered through the post. So, the “No junk mail stickers” work here, to an extent. I certainly would not deliver supermarket ads into a box with that notice on it.

But, all this is OT, and not only geographically. The OP was talking about an apartment door, no? We usually only get scuzzy real estate agents leaving their business cards in the doorway. That’s bad enough.

I don’t know exactly. It must be “bulk mail” where advertisers pay Canada Post something less than first-class rates to drop flyers in everybody’s mailboxes. (Since I didn’t ask for it, and my name is not on it, it is “unaddressed” or “unsolicited.”) It really is quite a large volume of mail, I noticed right away when they started delivering it and it made a big difference when they stopped.

Going by the nature (helpful) and timing (prompt) of the response to my objection to it, I would guess that it is entirely within my rights to not recieve it if I don’t want it. I had assumed it worked like this everywhere, but I guess not.

Yay Canada!

Could I add the following to this pitting please;

• The company that pinned their business card to my exterior door’s varnished wooden frame, like it was their personal notice board (and every other door in the street). I was sure to call their number after that, but not seeking any business.

• The guy who every Sunday wedges my letter box open with his useless local, free newspaper, because he’s too idle to push it all the way through. End result is all the heat in my hallway escapes out the letter box. Some day I’m going to catch him doing it and stick his unwanted paper where it’ll air him out.