Stop with the Medal Counts...It's Gold Jerry, Gold!

I know we’re not keeping score. But IF we were keeping score we’d be winning 12 to 4…

It’s not whether they win or lose, it’s whether they beat the Swedes.

There is no single and fair way to ascertain what country “wins” an Olympics, not will there ever be.

You can’t compare, for obvious reasons, a cold weather country to a warm weather country. Norway is naturally going to be better at skiing than Nigeria.

You can’t compare a country with a small population to a country with a large one. Russia has far more opportunities to win medals than does Sweden.

You can’t compare a country that concentrates on one discipline to one that succeeds in many disciplines.

You can’t compare a country that is good at a sport that hands out many medals to one that only hands out one or two (look at the Dutch and speedskating, versus Canadians and hockey. Equal dominance, remarkably different medal haul in those sports.)

And there’s no clear answer to the argument of “what’s a gold worth versus a bronze, and what’s a silver worth versus those?” It’s not even necessarily the same between sports. If an American woman won a silver medal in cross country, that would be a remarkable and highly commendable achievement; it would be one of the biggest upsets of a Winter Games and would correctly be regarded as one of the USA’s most amazing performances. The American women winning silver in hockey was a disappointment, and rightly so.

At least USA gets to keep Justin Bieber :slight_smile:

Yay!!!

So, of course, in the end Russia leads both the gold and total medal counts.

But what I want to know is, who led the real medal count - snowboarders with Burton boards, or the ones with Kessler?

Russia won - both most gold medals, and most medals all in all.

But of course the only medal that really matters is the ice hockey gold, and that went to Canada.

Damn right, and Jonathan Toews is my homeboy from Winnipeg!

I hear Atlanta has a real problem with that :slight_smile:

Not only that, but we got more golds AND silvers than the Americans. Nyah! :smiley:

So we got trounced by Russia *and *Canada? I bet this is all Obama’s fault… somehow.