Store Security - Magnetic Strips

I wasn’t implying you were. But a lot of people see these boards, and posting ways to deactivate security measures would be a Bad Thing. Besides the mods would take a dim view of me if I did that…and i like it here! :smiley:

Well if you really want to steal CDs,DVDs etc.

What about a lead lined purse or a lead liner to slip into a shopping bag?

That would be overly complicated. As would, I assume, any form of demagnitization. Also, it is nearly impossible to know if it is a magnetic tag or a resonator tag, unless you know the store. All you need is a hoody, shopping bag, or some other thing with large pockets, and a paperclip. I won’t go into it here, as I have been warned by the others about that, but you can IM me if you want.

Q.E.D. I understand. I was just pointing out that demagnetization would probobly be the most cumbrous, and likely to get you caught, method of stealing a CD.

How about just ripping them off the outside of the packaging? Wouldn’t that work? That seems like a really simple way, though. I mean if it was that simple, why would they have this system at all?

Once I bought a hard drive at Best Buy. Let me tell you, dopers–when you go to the mall to buy a hard drive, make that be your LAST stop, unless you want to set off the alarms in every single store you enter and exit for the rest of your shopping experience.

“How about just ripping them off the outside of the packaging?”

I suppose you could but alot are now INSIDE the packaging.

Would it be possible for a store that sells magnets to attach an anti-theft device to the product?

Does anybody know where to get these antitheft tags? Does Office Max sell them? Say I wanted to open a store that uses them, someone would sell them to me right? So this would be the easy way to way-lay your friends with the tags.

I would assume you’d have to buy them in considerable quantities. Most places that sell things of this nature impose rather large minimum quantities just to keep them out of the hands of the general public. OTOH, maybe try eBay. I’ve seen some out-there stuff for sale there.

An interesting observation from a former employee of a store that used anti-theft strips: after about 3 months of handling tagged merchandise in close proximity to the detectors, I could tell you the exact boundary of the field. If I wanted to, I could smuggle any merchandise I wanted right past the detectors, without setting them off.