Stores/Merchants you stopped business with due to Moral or Political reasons

Dick’s Sporting Goods, although I admit I was only a sporadic customer before.

Oh golly, I’d almost forgotten Home Depot! Security cameras I understand, but they’ve gone so far as to have a little monitor and a doorbell chime alarm in the aisle being camera’d. So when you want to buy a new circuit breaker or some plumbing bits you hear “Ding Dong” drawing your gaze to the monitor showing your annoyed mug. May as well just have someone standing in the aisle, scowling at you as you browse the stuff, growling, “Watching you, motherfucker.” Dick heads. I go to Ace now.

I had to quit using Uline for my shipping supplies and Sticker Mule for my stickers because the owners of these companies have made huge contributions to Trump and the rest of the republican party. It’s annoying because these companies are genuinely good at what they do, and for a good price, but I can’t give them money knowing part of that money goes right back to horrible politicians that are trying to ruin my life. I’ve had to source other suppliers and cobble together my shipping supplies through other companies that aren’t as well-organized. Uline still sends me a whopper of a catalogue every year. Never again, though.

That’s interesting. I googled, being unaware of the controversy (and no explanation being offered above) Their policies seem reasonable and certanly aren’t going to cause any harm.

I stopped using FedEx after they got called out on their discount program to NRA members, and refused to stop it. Until then, when I sold stuff via online classified ads, I usually used FedEx because their store was more conveniently located than the UPS store.

But I just googled and found that they finally discontinued the NRA member discount a few weeks ago. Not sure yet if I’d go back to FedEx though.

Jimmy John’s, Papa John’s, Hobby Lobby, and Chick-fil-A.

Used to get PJ pizza every Thursday night, years ago. No longer. Used to get Jimmy John’s any time I was on that side of town and hungry. I don’t have a Chick-fil-A here, but when I lived near one I had it for breakfast every morning. I use Joann’s for craft goods now.

I have never been inside a Walmart. Because of their union-busting activities, but also for their effect on local business.

I stopped buying Molson beers (which I regularly bought) after an obnoxious commercial that ridiculed an immigrant lady cleaning public rest rooms. I have never gone back.

I quit going to a local gastropub because they started adding a ‘service charge’ to the bill, which I consider to be a form of fraud. If they wanted to pay their employees more, great! Time to raise your declared, printed-on-the-menu prices!

Back in the day: Domino’s Pizza; Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola (both); MacDonald’s (not for political reasons but because I detested their ads); Procter & Gamble (likewise, but harder to avoid); fresh grapes (Cesar Chavez, ya know?);

More recently: Hobby Lobby (not that I ever bought anything there anyhow) and Chick-Fil-A and WalMart’s

Yup. Once again demonstrating that so many people on this board have no idea what an actual boycott is, and are simply virtue signaling.

If you never went to a place anyway, you are not boycotting them!

That condition does seem to have been generally ignored, ‘someplace you actually ever went’. A couple of responses said they went to Papa John or Chik but no longer.

Also ‘don’t say Walmart because everyone does’ has been ignored. But, obviously, if everyone boycotted Walmart it would not be the incredibly gigantic chain in terms of stores, employees and revenue that it is.

Nor is not going to a store where they follow you around a boycott. That was covered also and was a valid exclusion in the OP.

I guess people ignore the conditions in part because boycotts often to tend to appeal to people who wouldn’t shop at that place, or buy that product, to begin with. If the core customer base of said merchant was offended by whatever the business practice or politics was, the merchant would be more likely not to do those things. If activists really liked the good or service they’d probably be less likely to call a boycott on it than on products and services they don’t like anyway. If they don’t ignore the OP’s conditions, it’s harder for most people to give examples.

I don’t have any real examples. I do prefer the hole in the wall local pizza place(s) to Papa Johns (I live in a traditionally Italian area) which isn’t close by either. The cross section of goods/prices at Walmart isn’t compelling to us for the most part compared to Costco across the parking lot and neither are nearby for everyday shopping. We often end up going into Walmart on cross country trips though. Chik-fil-a, I try to limit junk food. We go to the one near Costco ever once in a while. But anyway I don’t think it’s morally wrong somehow to have a traditional view of marriage, or a non-traditional one: I think that’s an over-moralized issue like a lot of issues now. I’m not inclined toward boycotts in either direction for that kind of political reason, especially a founder of a self made company. I get more annoyed when shareholder elected CEO’s take it on themselves to get into politics. It’s not their company, it’s the shareholders’ company. And again a lot of the ‘moral imperatives’ they preach are not IMO, they’re just political opinions. But rising to the level where I ‘boycott’, can’t think of any.

What’s everyone’s beef with Walmart? :confused:

I actually used to shop at Hobby Lobby fairly often, for model rocketry supplies and kits. I stopped when I learned about the owners’ political and religious views, and how they imposed those on their business practices. I buy my stuff online now, or at a local hobby shop.

Imagine Bernie Sanders conceived a business model of a megamart. WalMart would be its counterpart from The Upside Down.

Please explain what exactly is so horrible about taking a day of rest.

I grew up in Chicago; I was there when it happened. And to this day, I’ll never understand how people got so upset over a store changing its name.

Marshall Field’s had been going downhill since the early 1980s, when it was acqired by BATUS (a tobacco company!). Subsequent owners did no better and Field’s became a neglected shell of its former self.

The last time I visited the flagship State Street store before the Macy’s era, the place was an absolute dump. Filthy floors, half-stocked racks, no staff in sight. It was sad.

Macy’s bought a dying store and brought it back to life. But they dared to (gasp!) put up a new sign, and people went NUTS. I still don’t get it.

I cut back my business at Home Depot because of their political contributions. I still go occasionally because there have been times I can’t find what I need elsewhere, but I hold my nose when I do.
I quit going to Exxon stations after the oil spill in Alaska in '89. Not because of the spill but because of how they managed the cleanup.

Virtue Signaling?!?

On this message board, populated by dispassionate, sober, level-headed seekers of reason, truth and knowledge, unsullied and happily divorced from the irrational influence of petty partisan politics?

How Dare You Sir!!!

(for the recoed I have never set foot in a Walmart in my life, but apparently unlike some, I don’t think that makes me the moral equivalent of Gandhi)

I have bought all LOT of Kentucky bourbon. But none since Trump started imposing tariffs on Canadian trade.

I won’t go to Chik-Fil-A. But so I won’t upset any conservative snowflakes, I’ll admit that up until about a year ago that wasn’t really an option. There were no Chik-Fil-A’s in my area so the only time I would have had the opportunity to go to one would have been while traveling. But in the last year, they’ve expanded into my area so now it’s a more active boycott.