Straight Dope: MSG

Umm… What?
Also, try MSG on fried eggs. It’s fabulous!

Honestly, I don’t know what you mean here. Yes, I’ve tasted snot. I don’t know how MSG has the mouthfeel of snot. I will disagree about the taste, but I could somehow see very tangentially how one could make the comparison. The mouthfeel, though, makes absolutely no sense to me. I use Accent (commercial MSG taste enhancer) in some of my dishes, and I’ve taste it straight from the can, and I don’t understand what you mean by a snotty mouthfeel.

What?! I don’t think MSG is what you think it is. MSG resembles salt, except instead of small cube shaped crystals, they are sort of rod shaped, and like salt it dissolves readily upon contact with moisture. I can’t imagine the amount you’d have to consume to get a discernible mouth feel.

If I ate a tablespoonful of salt, yeah, I’d say it had the mouth feel of sand and complain about the dying feeling it gives me.

As for the taste, it’s taste like pure essence of savoriness. Not pleasant on its own, but yeah, like Jake said, does wonders for fried eggs.

::Hijack:: Try Dill Weed on your eggs. It really adds a great taste to the eggs.

MSG got over it.