Straight Dope on Falun Gong

Is the Epoch Times a Falun Gong newspaper?

Yep, pretty much, cite, google away for plenty more. Also check out the “reforms” that have been pushed on Hong Kong, want me to google them for you as well?

Basically, the villagers constructed dikes illegallly, and were injured while protesting their destruction?

D:

Tell me, have you ever lived in China?

Former Duran Duran and Soul Asylum drummer Sterling Campbell turned to Falun Gong. So now it’s a cult that rocks!

See, this is one of those things I have a problem with. Once we start down this road, where does it end? “Cults make their followers shave their heads.” “Cults require their followers to wear special underpants.” “Cults occasionally observe fast days.” I’ve already branded a few major religions as ‘cults’ with those little jibes.

Cults are abusive. That is the only definition that matters.

dude, the cultural revolution basically ended in 1971 although not officially pronounced dead until 1976.

i’ll give you a head’s up that people who were directly or indirectly negatively affected by the cultural revolution generally find it deeply offensive for someone that knows little to throw out the CR as some panacea.

tian’anmen was a tragedy. however the economy has doubled more than twice as the modernization of china goes at breakneck speed. the china of 1989 bears little resemblance to today.
and my family has relatives that still live in the countryside that were resettled in the 60’s, others that did time in the loagai, others that were struggled etc. and i was here before 1989 and still here now and seen many of the changes good & bad.

falun gong are a buncha wacko nutjob brainwashing cultists with a messanical leader demanding total obedience & cash.

ya wanna get your panties in a twist over religion in china, there are plenty of religions and groups that could use help instead of flg masquerading as a persecuted religion.

By that standard, every day in the US is a Rodney King race riot.

Having visited China, it is far from a police state, and has changed greatly over the last 20 years. State-managed capitalism, and a general “live and let live, just don’t rock the boat” ethic.

China has seen quite a few of these mystery cults metamorphose into potentially regime-toppling armed movements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Lotus_Society_(triad)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fists_of_Righteous_Harmony

I completely understand your point, and I wouldn’t argue against it. I was trying to deal with one aspect the question “is Falun Gong a cult, as most people today use the term?” Yes, the term is selectively applied. But in terms of the veneration of Li Gong, Falun Gong fits the bill in my opinion.

“Abusive” is so subjective that I doubt it’d make a good definition.

I don’t think so, if you keep in mind that I meant the term to mean the same things it means when a relationship between two people is described as abusive in a legal context, as the basis for a charge of child abuse or spousal abuse or similar. I think the definition of ‘cult’ can be placed on a footing just as firm.

That’s what I was thinking. The “invincible to weapons” thing is just so Fists of Righteous Harmony, and everyone is using it these days, but I guess it’s cheaper than recruiting educated people and giving them body armor.

Here’s a little history of FLG for you. The founder of FLG, Li Hong Zhi, started the thing in the mid 90s. At that time, and still more so now, China was absolutely awash with crackpots selling health and wellness snake oil, many of which are products that have been discredited as such in the west a long time ago. All the miracle hair growth, weight loss, electric-shock belly shrinking pseudoscience wonder gadgets in the last 10 years were flooding into China on the wave of unregulated consumerism into the homes of largely ignorant buyers. FLG is one of these.

At the beginning, the Chinese goverment actually supported FLG, just as it often supports “Traditional Chinese” medicine, regardless of it having any scientific basis. It’s sort of a nationalistic policy. The problem began in 1998-99, when several prominent scientists, real ones, wrote (completely reasonable) articles denoucing FLG as a “feudal superstition”. This, to the suprise of everyone, resulted in large scale demonstrations first aimed at the authors of the articles, and then in front of the Chinese seat of goverment itself (ZhongNanHai). Feudal Superstition is a rather loaded term in China, as the goverment makes a distinction between “religion”, which is permissible, and “superstition”, which is not. The line is a little blurry, but once you build up a following large and assertive enough to launch protests and intimidate university professors on campus, you were pretty much guaranteed “cult” status (heh). The fact that the FLG advocates beliefs that are completely insane, and that Li Hong Zhi made a tidy little fortune(he denies this) before escaping to exile in the US is just sort of icing on the cake.

Now, after the goverment cracked down, that vast majority of “practitioners” simply stopped(in pulbic, anyway), as per the goverment instructions, and not much more was said. The hard core protestors were of course arrested, and some progressive types grumbled a little about the principle of the whole thing, but all in all most ordinary Chinese are rather indifferent to the entire matter, and dismiss the protestors and self immolators as misguided nutcases, which they generally are.

I have no opinion of the “cult” status as set out by the posters here, but according to wiki:

I think that the TAIPING REBELLION (LINK) explains a lot about Modern China’s attitude towards both religious cults and towards Western calls for religious freedom.

Please go back & read my linked article. Thank you.*

[QUOTE=kawaiitentaclebeast]
Here’s a little history of FLG for you.
[/QUOTE=kawaiitentaclebeast]
dang, t at was a great summation you wrote up. thanks

Cult or not, nothing can justify the removal of organs from living donors involuntarily.
:eek:
http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/6-4-24/40734.html

Wow.
Johana, thanks for that link!
Ick. Thpppt.
Guys, is that link credible? I wanted to think it was a hoax, but that site LOOKS professional. Is the Epoch Times a trustworthy media source?

Well, here is the Wiki article on it… reading it has made me realise that I actually get that paper here. In fact, I line my guinea pigs’ cage with it :eek: That’s not meant to show what I think of it, by the way. It just happens to be a free broadsheet newspaper.