Straight Dope on Quackwatch

I can’t find anywhere were he specifically “went after” mammography for women 40-49 but the topic came up in an article (last revised on July 16, 2004) on Bio Miracle Life Sciences Pvt. Ltd where he said

So we can argue that he didn’t rail against the pseudo science of 40-49 mammography but he certainly recommended against it.

I don’t think we disagree about anything important.

Not quite advising against it, but counts as having acknowledged the lack of evidence behind the dogma. That’s something. Still, if he believes that such is the “most elementary ethical principle of cancer screening” and that only those three meet that standard why did he not feature an article railing against the guidelines advising a host of other screens: screening mammography; screening colonoscopy,; prostate cancer blood tests; etc.? He rightly calls the makers of that particular test to task for failing to live to that guideline, but never the traditional docs who present these other screens as being of unquestionable of proven benefit greater than risk when their benefits are actually of a much more questionable nature. Would those organizations who endorse him still do so if he did?

I feel like I’m sounding like a Barrett fanboy here, but really, the mammogram debate is not quackery. It’s taking more data than we had before and figuring out where the expected value of the gamble becomes positive. That’s good, valid medical debate that should happen.

You can probably find exceptions, but the stuff Barrett takes on are usually quackery, not the valid back-and-forth that goes on within legitimate medical science.

It would help if I knew who these traditional docs were.

These traditional docs are the vast majority of internists, and the point is exactly that, that he doesn’t go after them because they are cloaked within “legitimate medical science” even though it also clearly does not meet his standard of elementary ethics. The lack of evidence that early mammography saves lives is not new. Again, Cochrane pointed it out 8 years ago.

Let’s look at prostate cancer screening - there is no, and never has been any evidence that it saves many lives -

And while the American Cancer Society now advises only discussing and offering prostate screening, most internists and FPs just do it. After all, big name docs say things like

and docs are (rightly) afraid that they will be sued if they even give patients the option to not get tested and that person ends up being the one who has a cancer. (It happens. Really.)

By Barret’s stated standard that quoted doc and the large number who screen all men from 50 on should be called quacks - advising doing something that has been shown to have no significant chance of benefit and some real risk of harm. And cost.

Does he do that? Does he apply the same standard to things regular docs do? No.

Hey the Alternative Med folks are easy targets - they waddle, they swim … they quack more often than not. If you are* fair* you also look at those don’t look as much like ducks too, cause sometimes something that looks like a swan may quack just as loud.

**Jackmannii ** said:

Sigh How did I guess this would happen? Someone would miss my point. I saw post #10 - back in post #10.

To recap, my point was not to agree that the comments were appropriate or inappropriate in that column. My point was that Lamar Mundane was trying to highlight what he thought was a poorly structured and misleading article because it had what to him seemed irrelevant comments included, not that Lamar Mundane was trying to defend acupuncture – Which is what DanBlather accused.

So, does anyone have proof Lamar Mundane is supporting acupuncture anywhere?