Straight dope on: Rings, amputation and injury risk

There are occassionaly safety advisaries that go out in the Army describing some serious injuries from rings catching on things.
I am going to just get a wedding ring tatooed on my finger instead.

I was a “Bah, what a silly fear” kind of a guy about this. Then a couple of months ago through some incredibly bad judgement I ended up smashing my ring finger between the handles of two sledge hammers. Pinched the ring right down on my finger. Had I swung a little harder it would have been a trip to the emergency room to cut the ring off.
Stupid aura of invincibility, where have you gone now that I am grown up?

We were issued wrist watches that had break-away straps. And then we flew in loose clothing that could catch on almost anything. Go figure.

A book I’m reading right now on PC security has (for some reason) a caution regarding rings. Apparently the author was working on a car with someone when they got their gold ring caught between a battery post and the car body. By the time he got it free, the gold had melted, and things were somewhat unpleasant in the digit department.

's a safety thing for welders, too. My hubby takes his ring off when he welds. Fire of relationship, one thing: fire which singes hubby’s finger off is another thing. We’d like to keep his fingers, thankyouverymuch

:cool:

This exact thing happened to my father-in-law many years ago. Jumping over a chain-link fence; wedding ring got caught; ring and finger did not come down with him. He wears the ring on his right hand now.

One more…a guy I knew in school was standing on a playground swing, pumping it up to jump off. Yup, caught his ring in the chain, stripped his finger off.

The guys I know that work construction or with machinery all take their rings off during work. Some wear them on a chain, some just stick them in a pocket or leave them in the car or at home.

Okay, so thanks everyone for the anecdotes. :slight_smile: I’m still trying to estimate the frequency, though, and here’s some more of what I’ve found, using some of the search terms presented in this thread:

This site says that

It doesn’t say how many are due to ring avulsions, but it does say that:

Somebody did a biomechanical experiment to figure out how these ring avulsion injuries happen, and discovered that

That’s about 34 pounds of force to completely amputate a finger, and half as much to cause major injury that doesn’t result in ‘degloving’. (My first link describes the classification system they’re using.)

Another study says they’ve found a way to reliably prevent these injuries from happening, but I think you have to pay to find out what it is.

Still nothing on frequency, except that total finger amputations count 100,000 per year in the US.