Strange and gross curiosity - how does your body handle needing to vomit?

Depends on the cause. If it is dry heaving due to an illness, my body will fight it. If I have eaten something bad my body vomits pretty easily.

That kind of what it’s like for me - except no testicles. :slight_smile:

Not very well. I can usually tell it’s getting close when I start getting a ton of saliva going, that’s nearly always the precursor. The actual event usually hurts like hell. My stomach cramps up, my chest feels like it’s being pounded on and my throat burns.

Of course with my IBS, I can’t always be sure if I’m gonna hurl or just being pain for hours/days/

Wait, you eat out of dumpsters? Um, why?

Yes, people really do turn green. At a party I hosted once, one of the guests (who I learned later has Crohn’s disease) had had a few beers. I had been talking to him and he seemed just fine, when he suddenly passed out and crashed onto the kitchen floor. He woke and stood up after a minute, but his face was literally green – a sickly gray-green color. I kept expecting him to hurl at any moment, but he said he felt OK, wasn’t sick, and it was just part of his Crohn’s disease. He left the party soon after, but for the rest of the night people were saying “shit oh-dear, I’ve never seen anyone turn green before!”

I don’t vomit often but when I do, I let it out, easy as hell, and feel much better afterwards.

The only time I’ve ever vomited as an adult was when I had norovirus and I try to block that episode out of my mind.
How often do normal adults vomit?

I’ve had a stomach flu 5 times in the past 15 years. I’ve thrown up in other circumstances as well that I can remember.

I am a horrible wretcher. My body is as dramatic as possible. Violently dramatic. I’ve not yet burst a blood vessel in my eye while puking yet but it sure seemed close!

“Hurling” is a great euphemism for vomiting. It feels like my body is trying to hurl the contents of my stomach forth.

My dad is a violent puker too. I know this because he goes though bouts of puking migraines too. I can’t imagine!!

I definitely don’t fight trying to puke. I know it makes me feel better. But I prepare for it like one might prepare for a head-on collision.

I’m a fellow migraine sufferer. I used to get the debilitating ones about once a week, now they’re down to a few times a year. Either way, those are the ones that make me feel like I’m going to puke if I even move. Even if I’m laying in bed, and need to move my legs, that’s enough to make me feel like I’m going to start throwing up. So, when any movement at all makes me pukey, the actual muscle contractions of throwing up make everything worse.

Having said all that, if you have a doctor you visit for migraines, and you’re using any kind of migraine meds (ie Imitrex as an abortive or Topamax as a preventative), ask about getting a script for Zofran. It’s an anti-nausea med. For me, Imitrex doesn’t always do the trick on the first try, but the Zofran at least knocks down the pukey feeling. I don’t take it often. I take Imitrex once a week or so, but if I have a debilitating migraine, the ones where I want to die (not just worried I might), I take tylenol, Imitrex and Zofran all at once, then take a nap. That’s usually my best shot at killing the headache in the next few hours.

FWIW, my doc the writes my scripts for Imitrex and Topamax (it’s a neurologist) didn’t bat an eye when I asked for Zofran.

In fact, the first time I got it was just as part of ‘what they did’ when I was in the hospital for a kidney stone. The next time I had one, I dealt with it at home, but had my GP call it in (Along with the pain meds). Worked so well, I asked my neuro for it for my headaches.

Me too. But even without actually fighting it, sometimes I puke and sometimes I don’t. It happened just yesterday, as a matter of fact. I didn’t puke that time but I was ready to.

I’ve never fought puking unless I was in a public place with no good place to puke nearby. For the past couple of years I often feel a little nauseated in the morning but then I sneeze once or twice and it passes.

I tried Topamax - I liked it, despite the very odd feeling of having no appetite. I was amazed how hard it was to eat anything when you don’t feel hungry, even as your stomach is rumbling. Alas, I had to go off of it since it caused an anaphylactic reaction (that was not the most fun, but did cause some excitement on our course!). I take Imitrex as an abortif, Toradol for the pain, and Mazeran for the nausea. I also get regular Botox from my Neurologist, and take magnesium and B2 regularly to help. It’s cut down on a lot, but not eliminated them, sadly.

Interesting that extreme headache is one of the potential side effects for Zofran?

I get a warning sign in the form of sudden high production of very sour-tasting saliva. That tells me that it’s time to review inputs, and I’d better head for an appropriate place to do so. Once I’m in position, there’s never really any drama to it. It’s like reversing a valve. I don’t think I’ve ever had any significant dry heaves.

When I had migraines (back before there was any effective medicine for them), I experienced nausea, but no real vomit-impulse. The acid saliva precursor didn’t happen, and I was aware–in the abstract, at least–that there wasn’t actually anything wrong with my stomach or its contents, so I didn’t puke. I still *felt *sick, but there was a gap somewhere in the signaling chain, so I was spared one nasty aspect of the migraine.

I don’t fight it. It’s a nasty thing to do, but I feel so much better after I puke. Last time was about 3 years when I had nasty bout of gastroenteritis. I learned that if I have to vomit, sit on the toilet and puke into a bowl, because that much intestinal force produces diarrhea.

I think I’ve had a lot of sessions of not vomiting by not eating out of dumpsters. Just this crazy theory I have.

Couple times a year. Usually due to eating something that didn’t agree with me, a medication/supplement side effect or an illness.

I remember that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry said he had gone something like 10 years without throwing up. I thought that was awesome, I have nowhere near that kind of streak.

Seinfeld is a carrier.