Strategic RPG video games

Duh. Obviously I meant langue d’oil.

Might it be Shining Force or its sequel? They’re Genesis games; I can’t recall any tactical RPGs released for the SNES in English (counting Ogre Battle as a strategic RPG).

For some very difficult console-style fun on your PC, Vantage Master is a freely available version of a commercial Japanese title. No story, just tactics; but there’s a whole lot of that.

I’m a huge fan of the subgenre, both the console-style FFT-like incarnations, and the PC-style X-COM-inspired kind. Even a bad game in it is often still pretty fun. In my opinion, the best example of the latter is still Jagged Alliance 2, in which you hire a squad of modern mercenaries - with personality - to topple the dictator of a tiny country. You may be able to find it for under $10 with some searching.

My favorite console-style game is the similarly aged Kartia, for the PS1. Deformable terrain, two intertwining storylines, meaningful but not excessively punishing deaths, and an innovative resource management system are among the things that keep it tops in my book. Sadly, it’s likely very difficult to find by now, even if it’s still easily playable on a PS2.

Was it that awful battle on the roof of the church? If so, I agree wholeheartedly. Total BS, especially after what you just had to endure to get there.

Back in college, a couple other people who had played through the game and I sporadically watched a friend play through for the first time in the common room. When he got to that battle, a stream of profanity began that did not let up for nearly two hours, while the rest of us laughed our heads off as only veterans of that terrible fight could. While it still doesn’t make up for the sheer stupidity of that fight, that memory cushions the blow somewhat for me.

Thank heavens that someone already brought up Bahamut Lagoon. That game does not get the credit it deserves.

But why, oh, why is there no love for Front Mission? What the hell, people? It’s possibly the best tactical RPG on the SNES. <:mad:>

The only other game I can think of that hasn’t been yet mentioned is Tenchi Muyo RPG. Short, but fun lil’ game. Might be a bit off putting to those who’ve never seen the anime, however. Cute nonetheless.

I’ve played all three of these games, and I enjoyed them all–probably because it’s a battle style I rather enjoy more than anything else.

Bahamut Lagoon was fairly interesting, the battle style is a combination of the tactical style and the traditional turn-based RPG style–parties next to each other could attack and there would be one round of turn-based combat. Beyond that, there were numerous ways to interact with the terrain, such as burning grass (which would spread and burn out) or destroying constructs. And the dragons grew by feeding them items, which all affected their stats and growth in different ways. Quite interesting, though I’ve never finished it.

The other two I didn’t care for as much, but they were fun. I do find with tactical games though that it’s easier to under-level than with regular RPGs (and I always wind up underlevelled in those). Bahamut Lagoon I had the least issues with in that regard.

I think it was Shining Force. Thanks!