Straw Hat Pizza

Is that the Mama’s up on Camp Bowie? 'Cause I do miss that place…it was directly across the street from where my wife worked.

…did you intend for this to be in GQ?

Whoosh! :stuck_out_tongue:

So there is a Straw Hat Pizza way out in the Burbs of Houston, Katy actually. This would be a 45 minute drive for me on a good traffic day.

Should I make the drive to try it?

Capt

No, “Pleased to have served you this whoosh, sir!” :smack:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Wish I’d have thought of that!

Yep, that’s the original location for the chain. The locations I grew up with are long gone, but they have locations all over Tarrant county again.

I have no idea what style of pizza you’d call it, and Round Table is the only place I’ve seen it in a similar style. Mama’s went through a period of only having a couple of locations in Fort Worth during the 90’s, and I was frightened I’d soon have to go to California when I needed to satisfy that urge. Thankfully, they’ve been bouncing back recently.

I was about to post that this isn’t a chain since location #2 opened a few blocks from where I live and I thought that was it, but I Googled it and am surprised at how big it has gotten (still only 14 locations). I can’t swear to this, but the original was Bazbeaux in Broad Ripple in Indianapolis. Two partners or workers split off and one opened Some Guys, and the other opened Pucini’s Smiling Teeth. They are all excellent and I’m very happy I have one so close.

It is also in the same strip mall as a liquor store, drug store and grocery, so it isn’t uncommon when I’m told to run out for an errand that I happen to come home with a pizza along with what I was sent for. I keep telling my wife that they were giving them away for free with a purchase of wine/ibuprofen/bread or whatever I was sent for. She just never gets there for these same deals I always seem to find.

As young as eight or nine, I developed a strong preference for Round Table. Whenever my parents got Straw Hat, I would complain that a pizza should taste better than the box it came in.

I may have been something of a contrary child.

Damn, now I could really go for some Round Table. Just plain cheese, with little burned bits right at the edge of the crust.

We ate at the Shakeys in Fontana 2 years ago, there are like 30 left [at least they are the same corporate owner. I found they still existed when I worked for their waste stream vendor.] I found they tasted pretty much exactly as I remembered, though the store format was different - they were more fast foody and less like a pizzaria if that makes sense.

What would happen if you asked for ‘New Haven’ style [extra long cooked so it gets slightly burnt around the edges? [for those who don’t like underdone pizza]