Study shows mathematically challenged to be biased against atheists

I have no idea if they still use this term in linguistics, but back when I was in the field, this would have been called a matter of Gricean conversational implicature:

The problem is whether the people answering the survey are taking the questions as literally as possible or making as many assumptions as possible or somewhere in between.

If I introduced you to someone, and said “This is Peter. He’s a teacher.”. Would you say “No, you’re wrong! He’s a teacher and an atheist!”?

Whaaaaat?

I’m not familiar with this specific study, and I’m going off my memory of a video I watched couple years ago about a similar survey, but IIRC they account for this by asking more than one question. For instance, if we assume that everyone knows that atheists are a minority of Americans, and everyone also knows that Browns fans are a minority of Americans, then these two questions should get similar responses:

Is it more likely that the serial killer is A) A teacher, or B) a teacher and a Browns fan?

Is it more likely that the serial killer is A) A teacher, or B) a teacher and an atheist?

People instinctively understand the first question – the answer is A, because even with your interpretation, there are more teachers who are not Browns fans than teachers who are. But that instinct falls apart for the second question, which is where the bias is revealed. How many more people get the 2nd question wrong than the first is where the meat of the study is.

You’ve not met browns fans, have you?