[QUOTE=Nic2004]
Li’l Pluck- Great reply and nice going on your first ignorance fighting post. That makes sense in the broad “unflattering characterization”. I noticed your “Guest” status and start date for the first time and wish to welcome you here to the SDMB. Welcome! With intelligent and insightful posts like this I know you will do well here and hope you’ll take the leap to membership.
Thanks for the info. Consider ignorance fought!
[/QUOTE]
Aww, shucks! :o Thank you very much, Nic2004! And yes, I’m leaning strongly towards membership (at which time I reckon I’ll do my official “Hey, y’all” the way that I’ve seen done by other newbies); I just wanted to get whatever I could out of the test drive, y’know?
And “intelligent and insightful posts”? [SALLY FIELD] They like me! They really like me! [/SALLY FIELD]
Unfortunately, I’m not so sure that everyone else agrees, which brings me to…
[QUOTE=pizzabrat]
Uh, I’m pretty sure the guys wearing their pants low (which is the style universally, BTW - nobody of any race is wearing their jeans at waist level these days, and often their jeans aren’t baggy at all, just tugged down quarter to mid-butthocks), are getting laid left & right. Which is the point. Any opinions otherwise are as irrelavant as the people holding them. Is that hard to “get”?[/pizzabrat]
.
I wasn’t mentioned specifically in your post, but I can’t help thinking that your post is partly in reaction to what I’ve contributed here.
To recap: **Nic2004 ** said–in a forum about things that we just do NOT get–that he didn’t get the whole pants-so-low-that-you-have-to-hold-them-up-with-your-hand thing, and I agreed, adding that some people in the African-American community refer to this, especially when we see it on African-American boys and men, as minstrelsy. I approached it from this angle because (as I said in my post) that’s who we *mostly * see engaging in this trend, though I’ll note that I also acknowledged that other groups of people do this, too.
From there, it kind of snowballed–well, snowpelleted, really–when Nic2004 asked for clarification about my use of the word “minstrelsy,” and I responded. And then OpalCat related her experience with this trend (and she didn’t mention race, either), and I responded to her post. Then, pretty much, end of story.
We weren’t out to disparage an entire group of people, and we weren’t necessarily impugning their character or intelligence or what-have-you.*
I’m not sure, then, why this has touched such a nerve with you. (At least that’s the way your post comes across to me.) And for the record, I understand that my opinion on a multitude of things is irrelevant to a multitude of people (don’t most of us?), but that doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t air it, and it sure as hell doesn’t mean that my humanity ought to be reduced to mere insignificance because of it. (Though I am aware that I am indeed considered a mere insignificance by a multitude of people, but that’s beside the point.)
And may I please have a cite for that “nobody of any race is wearing jeans at waist level these days,” b/c I see people of all races (not all people, but many more than you acknowledge) wearing their jeans in just such a manner. So, no, the look in question is certainly not universal.
BTW, just so you don’t think I live under a rock, I’m a college student, and I’m around younger people all the time (I say “younger” b/c I’m in my 30’s), and I understand that the look you describe is prevalent among the younger set. I have seen, though, and many times, others who do wear their pants very baggy and waaaay below the quarter to mid-buttocks range that you describe, and it’s that look to which I believe Nic2004 was referring.
And yeah, whether it’s quarter-buttocks, mid-buttocks, or sub-buttocks, and whether it helps the baggy-pants wearer get laid left-and-right (and bless their hearts if it does!) it’s still a look that’s difficult for some of us to “get.”
*I think you get that we weren’t trying to insult an entire group of people, i.e., African-American boys and men, and while the intent was not to question anyone’s character, it does look rather silly (to some of us, anyway) when you’re walking down the street and you’re constantly forced to do what a halfway decent and properly-sized belt could do (and you sometimes fail in this regard, as **OpalCat ** relayed), and with much less expenditure of energy, y’know?