Stuff you thought was a joke but turned out to be real

I thought Cyberbegging was a joke, but people are actually making money off of it.

The joke is on anybody fool enough to give any money to these patetic SOB’s.

My poor parents. When they woke up and told us our maternal grandmother had died we asked if it were really true or if they were kidding. All of us. They tell their kids some sad news and every one asks if it is a joke.

I thought that post about the vibrating tampon was a joke, sadly I was mistaken

(QUOTE}quote:

Originally posted by Kru-baby
The first time I saw a commercial for Zimm’s Crack Cream…I thought, what the hell? Butt cream? Turns out it is a real concentrated moisturizer for cracked skin.

Reminds me of Bag Balm.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/QUOTE]

Boudreaux’s Butt Paste
When I saw this at a drug store in New Orleans, I had to ask what it was. I was so glad I had an expecting sister-I bought the welcome gift for her, as well as the cap (for me). She says it’s actually very good stuff, and she orders it all the time.

Rumraisin i blame you and your entire class. q;}

That new show, I’m a Celebrity: Get Me Out of Here!

I thought it was just a parody of “celebrity editions” of reality shows.

A boy I liked in college invited me to the Goshen Mounted Policeman’s Ball. I laughed in his face. The town of Goshen had maybe 400 people in it and there was a big sewage pond the kids called the Goshen Ocean…I thought it was this guys way of asking me to watch the submarine races.
7 or 8 years later, I see a poster announcing the 24th annual Goshen Mounted Policeman’s Ball to benefit the search and rescue team that trains dogs to track missing hikers and they ride through the high country on horses, these volunteers who have to be police officers. 50 dollars a couple, at the ballroom of a big local hotel.:smack:

I had a friend use this phrase, and now I mentally stumble every time I see or hear those two words, wondering if anyone is going to start making off color jokes all over the place.

No one seems to blink.

Thanks a lot, Rex, for polluting my mind.

A note to Canada:

Next time you declare a new territory, could you please remember not to schedule it for April Fool’s Day?

Particularly if you’re going to call it something like Nunavut?

“Yukyuk, none-of-it, sure. Damn, doesn’t anybody have any better jokes out there this year?” Oh, well. At least Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie made a good song out of it :smiley:

That “perkele” is actually a Finnish exclamation. That “yxi, kaxi, kolmen” actually means “one, two, three” in Finnish. I still haven’t gotten over it.

Finnish speakers, excuse the spelling.

Whaa? Why wouldn’t you believe it?

OTOH, I once met an American on the Net who refused to believe that since 4-10 is the Finnish grading scale, Finns often grade other things on a 4-10 scale, instead of 1-10 scale, too. He thought we were all just pulling his leg.

Because, in Swedish, it sounds like a parody of Finnish. It’s like seeing a parody redneck on TV use a particular phrase and then meeting someone who is a redneck and uses that phrase. At first, you think he’s using it as a joking reference to the TV show, and then you slowly realise he means it.

So do I. Are you serious? Why would you do that?

This morning I spotted a mailer addressed to me, advertising a technical book entitled “Rheology and Texture of Cheese”, including chapters on the nonlinear viscoelasticity of cheese and the fracture mechanics of cheese. In one of the margins was written the phrase “Is this real?” in my wife’s handwriting.

It’s real. Similar books are published about yogurt, toothpaste, and such.

When I was a wee lass, my mom warned me that if I didn’t eat fresh fruit, I would get rickets, scurvy, and beriberi. They sounded so silly that I thought they were something she had made up. It wasn’t until much later that I found out that these were real diseases linked to nutritional deficiencies.

Mmm, I know that feeling. I’m still having a hard time accepting that names like “Börje”, “Håkan” or “Pelle” are actual Swedish names…

(No offense meant if your name’s actually Börje, Håkan or Pelle, of course…)

As for scales, well, because of the school grading system, Finns are used to the scale of 4 to 10 and have particular associations… especially with the grade 4. :smiley:

I thought the fistulated cows at U of IL at Urbana-Champaign were a joke or a preposterous urban legend. My reasoning was, “No way can someone cut a hole in a cow’s stomach and then parade it around to show people and not get some sort of animal rights violation.”

I was wrong. They’re colloquially called “Window Cows” and you can actually see them at an Open House for the Vet School in April. I believe you can even stick your hand in them at this event.

Yuck.

When I broke my leg in while in the seventh grade, the pain medicine dried me out or something, so I didn’t feel the need to go to the bathroom. The nurse periodically continued asking me if I had to go yet. Then he told me they might need to stick a tube down my penis to extract the urine.

“You mean you’re serious?!?”