Stupid coworker stories thread number 984,345,043

I check it the pads too, dear. I just wanted a picture that showed the tiny size of a lancet needle to the non-diabetics among us.

Don’t discount the possibility that she’s a vampire. It may be taking all her willpower not to leap over the cubicle wall and drain you dry.

Seriously, though, this is actually a situation where I might recommend lying–just tell her you have a new device that allows you to do the test without pricking yourself with a needle. Then as long as she doesn’t actually see you doing it, she’ll be fine.

Our daughter is a type 1 diabetic. This not only means multiple BG checks every day, but at least 5 insulin injections daily. She’s getting more consideration from her teachers and kids at school that you’re getting from your (supposedly adult) cow-orker.

If it’s a choice between her sensitivity or your life, her sensitivity doesn’t mean squat. Good for you. Some people don’t deserve to be educated about the disease.

You could always warn her you’re checking your glucose levels, but don’t actually do it right then. If she complains about the smell of blood, you’ll have proof she’s a raving loon.

I would ignore her. It sounds like your boss has your back, so let her foam at the mouth and enjoy the show.

I had a stupid co worker who would complain if someone put lotion on 2 rows away. She was one of the anti-scent nazis.

Am i the only evil one to imagine you in retaliation:
prick your finger, squeeze some blood out, run to her desk, shove under her nose and scream,
ZE BLOOD! IT HUUUUURTS!

I worked for a couple of years with a woman who arrived with a constellation of bizarre behaviors, including deliberately screwing up projects, apparently as a bid for attention and, from time to time, throwing things (though usually not at people).

But among her many eccentricities, the one that was most irritating from day to day was her habit of turning sideways every time she passed anybody in the halls. She was a fat person, but no fatter than several other people at the office, and these were perfectly ordinary or even wider-than-average office-building hallways. It is astonishing how crazy it can make you to see somebody turn sideways and back up against the wall every time you approach.

Maybe she’s a vampire and Skald eats a lot of garlic, and she is disgusted by the “foul blood.” Hmm, I’m off to the grocery store.

Nice, mean idea, but unnecessary. As someone observed upthread, if her mutant sense of smell were truy so acute that she could smell a drop of blood from thirty feet away, she’d never be able to bear the scent of a woman on her period. Moreover, her desire that I not even check my glucose level IN THE MEN’S BATHROOM betrays a certain irrationality, not to mention selfishness, stupidity, and insipidity.

…nah, never mind.

I don’t want Skald mad at me.

Fear not! I compensate for my tiny penis by having three.

Suggest, or have someone suggest, to her that she write up a formal complaint. That way the depth of her cluelessness and [del]insanity[/del]insensitivity will be documented. Bonus points that she does it herself.

Unwise. She’s not my direct report, but I outranked her, and she’s already taken her case to the person two levels over me, and gotten spanked for being stupid. I’m going to let it go.

So doesn’t anybody ELSE have stupid-coworker stories? Come on, she can’t be the only one out there!

Anyone? Bueller?

This was a coworker about 9 years ago. Because of tight office space, all the trainees were housed in a conference room. We did have individual desks and phone lines, but not a lot of personal space and virtually no privacy.

Now, most mature adults in a situation like this would tend to at least pretend not to hear every little things the person at the next desk said, especially when it was something of a personal matter.

Not J - she would literally lean in when someone was on the phone. She didn’t act like she was working or minding her own business. Nope, she’d do her best to hear what others might be saying to their kids or spouse or bank. Not only that, she’d actually comment on whatever she overheard. She may have been a degreed engineer, but she missed out on Basic Social Skills 101.

There was Dottie. The procedure in the office was that when mail came in, we would pull the client’s file, handle the correspondence, then add the correspondence to the file and put the file back in the drawer. She’d been there several weeks before helping me with the mail for my accounts one day, by filing all of the unread mail without pulling the files. She got this look on her face when she was done and realized she didn’t have a stack of files to give me … :smack: She was however a very nice lady and didn’t seem to mind taking the time to go through every one of the files to check for unhandled mail. I got the feeling that cheerfully correcting stupid mistakes was a big part of her life.

Your mistake was in having such a particularly insane coworker, Skald. Hard act to follow.

Had the classic Overweight Middle-Aged Single Woman coworker who would try every diet plan but do in wrong and then complain that she “just can’t lose weight!” The most recent example happened after the study came out indicating that women who, as part of their diet and exercise routine, drank an 8oz glass of low-fat milk and lost more inches off their waist than women who didn’t. This lead to OMASW coworker chugging a gallon of chocolate milk during her 10 hour shift every night. :rolleyes:

My insane coworker and I applied for the same job. I got it, he didn’t. This was a lateral move for me, would have been a promotion for him, and gave me some dotted line authority over him, plus the ability to give interesting or not interesting tasks out on projects to him and others on the team.

He chose to rant for half an hour in a meeting I wasn’t in about what a poor choice I was and how I wasn’t remotely qualified. My new boss’s boss was in that meeting - he was one of the people that made the selection.

A co-worker undergoing treatment for some heart troubles that involves medication has what I am describing but not diagnosing as ‘borderline personality syndrome’, that tends to get worse during stages of her treatment. If you disagree with her on anything, you are evil. She is also a follower of a charismatic Christian faith.
I don’t mind her telling us how everything is a sign that the end times are here. Sometimes I get to educate her about the Bible. Like where Megiddo is.
I don’t mind the silent treatment. I rather enjoy it at that point.
But, you know, when she becomes convinced I am literally the Anti-Christ? That wears on you. Being rebuked and splashed with holy water, and so on…
(Well, drops of water with an odd scent. I figured it was probably holy water she was flicking at me.)

It’s not entirely her fault, and I like her when she’s not fucking nuts. But man, talk about a hostile work environment.

Response: ‘Only for you, Hearty.’

:eek:

How do people get away with acting like this at work?! That’s crazy.