Stupid girl, parents, media

Okay, smarty, how do you propose to undermine her self-esteem to the point where she uses promiscuity to win approval? Huh?

Well in my yearbook one of the girls racily published a picture showing a bit of ankle, and it excites me to this day.

Anything goes, don’t you know.

I doubt that she will get much fortune out of it. As for fame, there are plenty of ways of achieving that which are not good. This is one of them.

Anyone can make mistakes. If she was clueless enough to send in the picture, but then sent one that met the guidelines when it was rejected no one would think twice. But she is plenty old enough to know what is acceptable, as are her parents. Especially nowadays when she can post anything she wants online. She is old enough.She just shouldn’t try to force the school to do it for her.

You are right-this pic is for when she’s 45 and weighs 180 pounds…and dressed in head-to-toe spandex.

The list of what’s wrong with those “modeling” pics is as long as my arm, but for starters #1 highlights thick waist and cankles, #2 pose accentuates her weight and makes her look stubby and #3 jowels, eyelashes are all wrong, god-awful dye job, and she looks 35. Yes, the lighting is harsh, but there are so many wrongs in all those photos it would take all night to list. All of them look unnatural and too posed.

Here’s is an example of a really good senior class photo

http://theresamarie.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Florida-senior-pictures-001.jpg

She looks alive, fresh, young, happy and classy.

I laughed out loud.

Good for her.

This would have perfect for the year book - cute and high-schooly. I think she looks charming in this photo.

ballerina in the grass photo

Same here. We went to a local photographer who had a deal with the school (or who may have been the only other photographer in town besides from Sears that I recall) and we chose from several poses which we liked the best, how many copies of each and which one would be submitted to the yearbook

Exactly. She’s 18 so I have no problem with the pictures themselves; fine for your Facebook icon or your OKCupid profile. Your senior picture though is supposed to be reserved, reflect on what you’ve actually learned during the year, or fun experiences, or whatever (and include a token “deep” quote by like, Martin Luther King.)

That having been said, a couple guys in my HS went to fancy car dealerships, took flashy cars for a “test drive”, had pictures taken with them and brought them back. :rolleyes:

You are kind of proving my point. Some people see a beautiful young woman in the flower of youth and feel compelled to tear her apart under a microscope, chastise her for daring to think she is pretty even if she is in the beauty 99%. Bunch of people see a girl who is cute and know it, and the feel the need to cut her down a notch- with some of our nastier anti-female insults if that’s what it takes. Looks like sour grapes to me.

Please. I’m commenting on her supposed “modeling” skills as all those photos were presented as modeling shots. As an ex-model who has done quite a bit of print and commercial work, I know what I am talking about. If you post photos and make webpages showing off your “modeling” that suck, be prepared for criticism. If you want people to blow smoke up your ass, show them to your friends and family.

You’re talking about her being in the “flower of youth”, yet she has a dye job that is better suited for a 66 year old barfly, with makeup to match. If you are in the “flower of youth”, look like it and run with it.

There is nothing wrong with being in the 99% looks wise. The key is working with what you’ve got and making the best of it. She has much to learn.

I don’t think it’s a big secret that she’d look better in pictures if she was better looking. :rolleyes:

She’d look better in pictures if she learned how to take a good picture and stop with the cliches. Unless you are a real ballerina or can pass for one or can count how old you are on the fingers of one hand, it’s a dumb forced pose. The position of her body is all wrong, her hair should have been swept up and the colors of her make-up and clothes are too harsh for her skin tone. It screams look at me pretend I am so whimsical in a purple tank top and a black tutu.

This. When I went to high school in the early/mid 1980s, seniors were required to wear the same photographer-supplied tuxedo top or dress top for their face shot. Underclassmen weren’t told when their homerooms would be photographed, so many pages of my old yearbooks looked like they came from a gallery of heavy metal concert and radio station t-shirts.

It looks like the photographer posted them— and after the fact, based on some of the Facebook comments accusing them of posting the photos post- scandal.

The nerve of some people! Daring not to be model pretty, not getting their hair dyed to the exacting standards of the worlds ex-models, and not having the courtesy to have professional publication photographers take their yearbook pictures. Really, these people are just such a trial when you are an ex model and know what you are talking about. Seriously, the plebes should learn to keep their heads down and Not take too many pictures It’s unseemly.

She’s a high school kids who got some shots taken by the local semi-pro photographer who probably specializes in awkward school dance photos and the occasional low budget wedding. she thought they looks pretty hot, according to the standards of herself and her peers, and submitted them to a publication with an audience of a few hundred of her peers. I don’t know what happened next (and neither do you) but now this 18 year old has strangers calling her a whore, criticizing her body right down to the width of her ankles, speculating about her sex life, and all kinds of really uncalled for harshness.

High school is an awkward time and it’s pretty much normal for high school kids to use mildly poor judgement. But somehow when a pretty young woman makes a misstep (and submitting a slightly risqué photo to the yearbook IS a very small misstep), the claws come out and then hens run to tear her apart. It’s small and it’s ugly.

Y’know what I think is small and ugly? When someone uses their own issues, about female appearance and societal pressure, make up etc, to make the stretch to some lame vague feminist point, about a celebrity seeking attention whore.

This seems a pretty calculated move on her part, and as such, means she should have been aware that there’d be push back and judgment coming her way. Seeking to produce controversy, to get known, is hardly new, as tactics go.

I don’t think it’s unfair for people to call it tactless.

None of that is her fault. It’s the photographer’s.

Give her a break. She has to have something to look back on when she’s a fat old boiler in 40 years.

This. Yeah.

There’s a “not pictured” under my picture.