Style question or problem in the making?

You are only looking at this from one angle. Can’t you see the upside of reminding the people who’s side we are really on that, even with the new administration, we are still really on their side?

It’s one of those “they know we know that they know that those other people know we know they know” anyway. The fact that we pretend to be neutral 99% of the time, only taking off our “mask” at a strategic time is a good way of doing things. When a new adminstration starts flexing its wings is one of those good times.

Although, again, there is no way to know. (no way to know you know that I know that you know…)

Sorry, I still don’t see the point in intentionally irritating folks with which we wish a continual peaceful existance. Or is a war with Peoples Republic of China such a rabble rousing idea that we’d intentionally inflame them? we have so many allies in the Mid East we can afford to drop one or two on purpose?

The “Republic of China” remark sounds very much like a benign slip of the tongue, akin to someone saying “Czechoslovakia” instead of “The Czech Republic.” I’m sure that Powell is just more used to referring to the island as the R.O.C. than Taiwan.

Still, I’m with wring. The Jerusalem comment was out of bounds; given the delicacy of the situation in the Middle East and the role we hope to play in defusing a potential crisis, the Secretary of State should not go around making remarks that are sure to inflame one or both sides. Powell should be much more careful in the future.

I think the sort of thing jmullaney is trying to describe is something along the lines of letting Taiwan know that the new administration still thinks of them as an independent country, then reassuring the PRC that, of course, the “One China” policy is still officially in force. Realistically, we know that China isn’t going to start a war over such things, even if they see through the ruse. I’m not sure I buy this idea, but it doesn’t make any less sense than our foreign policy in regards to China, Taiwan or the Middle East.

Oh, and for those interested in our relations with Taiwan, they are set out in [“http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/22/ch48.html”]US Code, Title 22, Chapter 48.

I see your point in a way wring I guess that I just don’t view it as seriously. Bush has been ticking off Allies and potenetial enemies from day 1 in office, so this seems minor on the whole.