Sublimating replacement for ice?

if you put dry ice directly into your beverage not only do you have to be careful of swallowing bits of it but also how cold the beverage gets. a water and sugar drink may not get so cold to drink as a liquid, before it freezes. a high alcohol content drink can get so cold as a liquid as to freeze mouth and throat tissue.

this also goes for indirect cooling with dry ice or other super cooling method.

I’ve tried dry ice in soda, and its bubbling actually makes the soda almost completely flat, the same way as breathing into a drink through a straw does.

You could just use whiskey stones.

Soda water. Kinda bitter to me.

Depends on how much you put in.

About 30 years ago my brother and I were rebuilding a tractor engine outside. The day was 103 degrees. working over a hot engine. We had some dry ice left from putting new cylinder liners. I put some in my container with Cool Aid. When we stopped for lunch I had a cold drink. It was carbonated Cool Aid. different.

If you want an efficient way of serving chilled cocktails, just use “bottled” cocktails instead. Make the cocktail in the proportions you would normally use except substitute the ice for 25% water by volume of the finished drink. Put it inside a container and stash it inside your freezer until chilled. Then, you can either just keep the bottle on ice during the party or pour it into a thermos and serve from the thermos. You get the same taste as a well made traditional cocktail but for far less fuss.

I honestly don’t know why this technique isn’t far more well known. Sure, there’s a lot of theater involved in watching a well made cocktail being constructed but, apart from a few exceptions like the Ramos Gin Fizz which absolutely require a cocktail shaker to be made, bottled cocktails are going to be more consistent and far less stress to make while giving you a superior product.

In Philadelphia I got both that kind of cubes (the ones I got there were spheres actually) and a double-walled jar with liquid inside the walls. You place the jar upside-down in the freezer so it freezes without cracking the walls, then pour the liquid in. They were from dollar stores; I recently saw the jars in a similar store in Spain (there the cubes have been in mainstream supermarkets for years).

If you get one of those jars and you suddenly find yourself thinking “why does this taste of antifreeze?” the walls are cracked, even if you can’t see it.

Another vote for dry ice, but not in the drink itself. Rather, have a cooler cabinet or other item into which you put the drink. Inside the item is a block of dry ice. Ice cream vendors used to do this.

You can also use plain old water. I’ve a bottle cooler made of porous earthenware and you soak it in water then put in the bottle. The evaporation of the water chills the bottle nicely.