Such a pleasure to discover a "new" and genuine hero - Nicholas Winton

This would be just a great story, but I was in Prague last month. I toured the Jewish ghetto & Pinkas synagogue (about 10:25 into the above segment). The second floor was filled with names; almost 80,000 names. It was knee buckling.

The next day I toured Terezin (concentration camp). There is a room in the main fortress that has the names of all of the children that passed thru. Thousands of names. Just the children. They would have needed a smaller font if not for Mr. Winton.

The highly respected Joe Schlesinger, a CBC newsman for decades, says in one of the sidebar videos at the above link (the 55-second mark) that he was one of the rescued children.

That brings it close to home.

I’m a little late on this, but Sir Nicholas Winton turned 105 on Monday.I agree with the OP and everything good said about this man. I saw the documentary in the theater and was floored that I’d never heard the story before. Even though he indicates he doesn’t really like the attention, I’m glad that he has been getting attention while he’s still alive, so he can meet so many of the children he rescued, and their children, and their grandchildren, and their great-grandchildren. it’s an amazing thing to be able to trace such a legacy.

The Czech Republic will be giving him their highest honor.

Come on, the man is 105. Every day counts. Why wait until October?

Really! October?! Well, he’s waited 105 years … what can another few months matter?

Sir Nicholas got his award from the Czech Republic today.

The Czechs provided a plane for him so that he would get back home by his normal bedtime. :smiley:

Edit: This report has video

The dust today is awful.

Rest in Peace, beautiful man.

Here’s the New York Times obituary.

Thank you for posting this. I’m very saddened by this. I think the man lived as fulfilling and worthwhile a life as anyone could possibly hope for.

RIP Sir Nicholas.

A quietly great man. Order of the White Lion, indeed.

So appropriate that he lived until the day the headline was “World Jewish Population Approaches pre-Holocaust levels,” as he is directly responsible for some of that recovery.

He got a full page obituary in the Times today.

I wear contact lenses .they irritate me sometimes .

RIP Sir Nicholas Winton

Aye, RIP Sir Winton; you done good. Real good.

There are times I despair of the Human species.

And then there are the Nicholas Wintons’ of the world that give me hope.

RIP.

Hope I typed this right…I seem to have got something in my eyes…