Suggest Poetry/Short Stories to Read to a 13-Year Old Girl

Whoops, meant to say “selected by” Ted Hughes and Seamus Heaney- it’s a hit so far.

I had always assumed it to be a reference to Albert Campion (probably due to her logical thinking and deductive abilities) but I suppose it could be in reference to Edmund Campion (unlikely), Thomas Campion (a plausible, if somewhat uncertain speculation), Italian composer Carlo Antonio Campioni (hmmm…no), or maybe the Australian Rugby League player Kevin Campion. I’d be mildly horrified to find that she named herself after one of the ruthless enforcers of the authoritarian Efrafa regime. I mean, what’s wrong with Pipkin or Strawberry. (Actually, if I were to select a name from Watership Down for the esteemed Campion, I’d pick Blackberry or perhaps Blackavar.)

Back to the OP’s question, I think Peak Banana makes a good point; being introduced to “the classics” early, before having to endure them (often taught by an instructor only moderately literate in them herself) is a way to appreciate the value in them. I don’t know about Twain–he seemed geared more toward young lads–but old Bill has a few sonnets and plays (not Titus Andronicus or, though it is my favorite, Hamlet) that might fit the bill, and Don Quixote de la Mancha is a rip-roaring tale of fun and satire. But then, I like Gulliver’s Travels, too.

Or if you really want to warp her mind, try some Patricia Highsmith. Heh. Between Highsmith, Donald Westlake, and Gregory McDonald, I think my early adolescence was irretrievably distorted. It’s a good thing I didn’t get around to reading Cain, Hammett, or especially Jim Thompson until I ascended to (presumed) adulthood.

Stranger

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Little House books. My favorite was Little House in the Big Woods.
I don’t know if they are still in print, but Cooper Edens wrote some delightful poetry, with beautiful pictures. Caretakers of Wonder, If You’re Afraid of the Dark, Remember the Night Rainbow and with secret friends, are three I can think of right off the top.

Since Emily Dickenson has been mentioned, I’ll give a shout out for Edna St. Vincent Millay. I have loved Millay’s stuff since age 12 or 13.

The Rattle Bag is a great book. I have it, and I should have mentioned it.

Oh, right. :smack: Well then, bonus points if you can read Mark Twain in a good Missouri accent.

Well, if you do read both Mark Twain and Jane Austen, make sure you don’t put their books next to each other on the shelf.

Ya-yas and Little Altars are pretty dark–they deal with alcoholism and child molestation, but to each his own.

what about The Phantom Tollbooth --I still love that book and I’m 43. I have read it aloud to all my kids and each has loved Milo in turn. (and Tock, of course!).
How about Witch of Blackbird Pond? or Island of the Blue Dolphins? Check your library for these (dunno if they’re out of print). Julie of the Wolves is also good, but maybe a bit young.
The Pern series of fantasy is good for the most part. (sorry, as you can see, I suck at author’s names).

Since she enjoys the Victorians–how about Louisa May Alcott’s books? Or Mary Hodgson Burnett’s (and no, I don’t know why I remember their names and not others!). Secret Garden and A Little Princess are lifelong favorites of mine. The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken is also good, but youngish for her.

Georgette Heyer is also a great read aloud type of book–better if you can do all the accents to make the slang really ring. Start with The Talisman Ring to have a rollicking good time–it’s an adventure story of sorts.

As for poetry, one of the best poetry books I ever bought was Garrison Keillor’s Good Poems (I think that’s the title). It has old classics, new stuff no-one has ever read or known about etc. It’s great.

Lastly, try James Thurber’s short stories. He is very funny in a dry way.

Oops – missed this! No, my name isn’t from Watership Down. One of Stranger’s guesses was correct; I took my name from the unlikely Edmund Campion, at least indirectly. As a child in Catholic school, my house was Campion; hence, the name. The connection to Watership Down didn’t occur to me until after I’d signed up, but I like Campion in the book, so it isn’t a bad association to me. Campion might work for evil (Woundwort), but he’s good, or he tries to be. (Stranger, what’s wrong with Campion?)

Me, too! (The part about loving it. Not the part about being 43 or having kids. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I mean, uh, I’ll stop now. :slight_smile: )

Stranger reminded me of another favorite book, though – The Westing Game. Given the plot of the book, I think reading it aloud would add to the fun.

So did I- I’ll definitely give it a try. I’m reading her some Phillip K. Dick right now- “We Can Remember it For You Wholesale” was quite a success. I don’t think I’ll show her the movie, though ;).

The Chronicles of Prydain, by Lloyd Alexander. Readable, enjoyable, adventurous, lyrical. These books have one fault – they fly by too fast. They’re secretly morally uplifting too, with important lessons about growing up hidden well enough that they don’t distract from the adventure.

Sailboat

Campion? As I recall he’s loyal to Woundwort, but not a for-real creep the way Vervain is, and after the downfall of Woundwort, he’s instrumental in the golden age that follows.

Try Sohrab and Rustum by Matthew Arnold - you’ll find a downloadable version. It’s a sad story but everyone should know it.