Suggest remakes of classic &/or schlock 70's horror films

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, Robert Rodriquez remakes Frankenhooker

Already done.

Is it necessary? Frankenhooker is already a remake of **The Head/Thing that wouldn’t Die[?B], but with more emphasis on sex. Why not remake TH/TtwD?

Um, are any of these necessary? Is this thread necessary? Are we playing necessary now? Is *that *necessary? I never know the rules anymore.

:cool:

*“Slither” *wasn’t really a remake of NOTC–it shared the same squiggly slug creatures, but that’s about it.

How about “Basket Case”? On second thought, maybe not. It’s perfect(?) just the way it is.

A Terry Gilliam remake of The Abominable Dr. Phibes

That’s really good. Permission to quote your original cast suggestion before you edited it?

Btw, I didn’t include in my OP one really GOOD remake of a 70’s horror film- Crispin Glover’s portrayal of WILLARD.

Wasn’t that story the basis for the two Thing movies?

Actually my original suggestion was going to be Johnny Depp. But I decided that was a cliche - Depp’s the first pick anytime they want an eccentric character. Then I thought about - honestly - Crispin Glover. But he can lose control of his own performances sometimes. And then I thought of one of my favorite actors - Gary Oldman. He’s an incredibly versatile actor and he’s shown he can do a manic role like Phibes. So I posted it and that’s what you saw.

But then a moment later, inspiration struck and I thought that the remake could be defined by the director rather than the lead actor. And Gilliam was my immediate choice. I was going to add his name to the post but I decided if I mentioned both Gilliam and Oldman it would dilute the post and lose focus - people would be looking for a non-existent connection between the director and actor. So I edited Oldman out as I edited Gilliam in.

Well, I know that I would definitely see a PHIBES remake (OR sequel) directed by Gilliam, starring Oldman or Glover. Btw, I happily got the PHIBES films for my last
birthday, and watched the first with my 19-yr younger friend who gave me it, but who finds pre-80s horror films boring. I wish I could say she was impressed… Kids.

All the times I saw it in the 70’s, I did not realize it was set in the 1920s.