Suggestion to the posters in this thread: STFU

Why don’t you flip over the tortoise?

It’s a reference to the movie Blade Runner. It is a question from the Voit-Kaumf test given to differentiate between humans and replicants.

So would you rather start a debate thread that goes nowhere due to what all agree is a fallacious analogy and then open a narcissistic pit thread when this was suggested to explain why you were right and the OP couldn’t possibly have been any better worded and all fault was with the readers, or would you rather live with a kangaroo in a small but elegant Pittsburgh apartment (which belongs to the kangaroo) with wacky Ukrainian neighbors who remind you of Lucy and Ricky Ricardo?

I’d rather do the former, because I don’t like Pittsburg. Oh. Wow. Poned. See how fuckin’ easy that was?

Nope. Socrates was a philosopher. So, his intellectual position and his attitude re. a death sentence inflicted upon him were very relevant.

On the other hand, Galileo was a scientist. Him being stubborn or a coward wouldn’t have changed the movement of the planets, and wouldn’t have reduced his achievement by one iota.
As for the rest of your rant, I won’t bother to respond more than that : My response wasn’t a nitpick, but an answer. And I couldn’t answer in any other way to your OP as posted. I stand by my guns. Next time, bring pie.

Also, Socrates was old, in ill health (his last words regarded his medical bills) and his life had become a living hell due to the war, poverty, his students’ involvement in the reign of terror, etc., plus recanting wouldn’t have saved his life anyway (it was a draconian sentence for a fairly minor charge because he had amnesty from what they were really after him for- kind of like getting Capone on tax evasion). Galileo was a middle aged man in decent health when his trouble started, a bon vivant who lived 13 years in comfort even after his recantation; he had a lot more to live for in general, the Catholic Church had already told him he could keep up his studies without interruption or interference (they in fact were eager for him to), he just couldn’t publish them (though they were published in Protestant lands due to smugglers who probably dealt with Galileo himself). They just aren’t similar situations.

Galileo was 70 - past retirement even by today’s standards - but that’s not the point. I find it funny that nd_n8 is capable of admitting he knew exactly what I meant just by reading the subject line, but you in all your efforts still just can’t figure it out, can you? Yeah fucking right :rolleyes:. Just admit you’re being an asshole. Just fucking admit it. I’ll have so much more respect for you. Both of you, Sampiro and clairobscur.

Then I must be an idiot. I’ll try to avoid posting in threads started by you, the issues you’re pondering are obviously way beyond my limited intellect.

You’ll have to keep on not respecting me, I’m afraid.

Cisco, I don’t know you but I have something I want to know. My question to you: Red or Blue?

Just answer the question. No nitpicking.

I apologize unreservedly for the actions of clairobscur. I really and truly don’t know what got into her. She wasn’t always like this, it’s just… the war and the want and the turtles all did something to her… I wish you could have known her back before…

Well, I can only hope we can all go heal now, and maybe we’ll be more compassionate in the future, if God and the Fates and clairobscur will let us.

Exactly. What position am I defending? Am I acting alone or as part of a movement? Would my death energize the movement, slow it down, or make no difference? How much difference, to how many people, would it make if my position won or lost? Am I single or married? Do I have kids? Etc. etc.

The answer is entirely situational, and by giving people two sample situations, they’re naturally going to use those to formulate their answer. And because nobody decides between two things by looking at their similarities, everybody’s going to focus on the differences.

Blue. Seriously, what’s so hard about that? Alternatively, if I couldn’t possibly force myself to answer without being a spurious bastard, I could just move along without responding.

Oh! I forgot. It’s the first time I’m pitted. It was about time after 7 years and as many thousands posts. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: . Finally, I feel like I belong here.

I’m sure there must be some traditional way to celebrate one’s first pitting. What would it be?

Hey: fuck off and die, will you? Nobody likes you and you have no friends. Also I hate the way you drive and your cubicle is disgusting.

Thanks for the effort,. :slight_smile:
(unfortunately, I don’t drive nor work in a cubicle but, well, a pitting has to include baseless accusations, I suppose)

Just how many Galileo v. Socrates death threads is clairobscur going to have to kill before the mods take action? This is already her second one just this week! God knows how many others there are or will be.

And what I worry most about is … the children!

These are all from the first few results when you google Galileo Socrates. Nope, nothin’ in common between those two. Apples and oranges, can’t compare ‘em. Nothin’ in common, George, nothin’ in common. Hyuk yuk yuk.

Oh give it up- the thread died. It happens. It would have happened if nobody had pointed out that the differences twixt Socrates and Galileo’s deaths outweigh the similarities. Move on with your life. You’re young. You can have more threads.

That’s from a webpage devoted to Kenneth Kaunda and Zambian political culture. Not exactly a philosophical discourse.

Great debates is for the forum for scrutiny and tough-minded analysis, little one. Try MPSIMS.