Super Heroes who are really mentally ill?

So people really think of Rorshach as a superhero?

Under the subheading “Antihero,” sure. Like Frank Castle, Wolverine, Lobo, etc.

He’s a comic book action hero. . . for a certain value of hero.

I was looking for an old article I once read, analyzing Mags from an actual psychiatric point of view.

Let me tell you, those academics don’t take their job seriously :stuck_out_tongue:

Let’s see:

[ol]
[li]Superman’s parents weren’t murdered (Man of Steel aside) in front of him and he is a superhero more because of his abilities than any obsession[/li][li]The Flash’s parents weren’t murdered ( Justice League Flashpoint Paradox aside). He fights crime because of his powers.[/li][li]The majority of the DC pantheon of heroes have completely different origin stories from Batman and none are as wealthy[/li][/ol]

Batman is disturbed because ( Chris Nolan film aside) he has never seriously entertained a life which didn’t include him beating up criminals (he really hasn’t killed any since the 1930s/1940s) and chasing insane supervillains. Most people don’t allow childhood tragedies to turn into adult obsessions.

When they do, they are often found to be deeply troubled individuals.

Depending on the writer, Talia either uses Head or al Ghul as a surname. al Ghul is rather more common.

I don’t honestly see how any of that’s relevant. It’s not particularly unusual for the death of a loved one to influence someone’s career path - lots of people became cops because someone they cared about was the victim of a crime. Lots of people become doctors because someone they cared about got sick. I particularly don’t see how wealth fits into things. Would Batman be less crazy if he were poorer?

That retcon was well before Flashpoint Paradox. A couple years before Flashpoint proper (though I can’t pinpoint exactly when the idea was introduced, it was well before his attempt to fix it went awry). And it’s currently canon.

But no, Dora’s death isn’t why he became a superhero…it may be why he became a COP, however. His desire to prove his father didn’t do it is one of his major motivating points, right now. (There was an arc recently where he put it aside, thinking it was developing into an unhealthy obsession…it ended with him realizing he could still work on that without turning into Bruce.)

Gaiman’s Sandman was depressed, and active in setting up a scenario where his death was the best outcome.

When looking for a superhero with many issues, it is hard to beat Sam Kieth’s The Maxx

Homeless, depressed, with emotional turmoil. And he could jump back and forth to another world. It actually made his condition worse at times as the jumps were against his will.

Submariner spent several years wandering New York as an amnesiac homeless person, before the Human Torch helpfully dropped him into the sea which made him remember. You have to wonder how many other homeless people the torch had to drop into the sea before he found the right one

Another vote for Moon Knight.

Considering the term “lunatic” and “lunar” are derived from the same latin root and was originally used to describe “madness caused by the moon.”

Like Spidey says, Mooney — rhymes with loony.

Yeah, but it depends on the attitude you take into it. Becoming a doctor because you admired the people that cared for you or someone you loved that was sick - good. Becoming a doctor to battle the Grim Reaper - disaster; you’ll see a crapload of people die every year no matter what you do, and (people being people) lots will be frustratingly stupid.

D-Man (Dennis Dunphy), homeless and schizophrenic.
Iron Man has some kind of narcissistic disorder and multiple addictions.
Sherlock Holmes is a high-functioning sociopath.
Drax the Destroyer is brain-damaged.
Elektra. Wow, the name alone…
Niles Caulder of the Doom Patrol, at least under Grant Morrison’s stewardship.
John Butcher of The Boys, murderer of most of his teammates.

That was only during one incarnation. Initially he was obsessed with killing Thanos. But, as that was the reason for his resurrection, I don’t consider that a psychological problem. At some point (I forget when) Drax got a new appearance and regained a normal intellect.

Re Madman- I could be wrong. But the only problem he had was amnesia. He was dead. A mad scientist brought him back. He doesn’t remember his previous life. Oh wait, he did (last time I checked) have a compulsion to wear a costume at all times. He feels extremely anxious and uncomfortable when ‘out of uniform’

Per posts 4,5,14,17, several others, and a couple whole threads on Watchmen, I think it was brought up that the author’s key point was to ask, “What kind of freak [i.e. lunatic/mentally messed-up/logically-deficient] person would dress up in a costume and go out looking for opportunities to injure street thugs in ways that would draw *excessive force *law suits for uniformed cops and soldiers? Lets examine these peoples lives and behaviors…”

–G!
Yeah, I used to go downtown “looking for trouble” but not in a costume!

Heck, the most normal guy in Watchmen is probably that cop who decides to wear a mask and keep beating the hell out of crooks when he’s off-duty.

I love Batman; I’ll read/watch him over Superman any day. But there’s no denying that Bruce is a deeply disturbed man. He’s obsessive, antisocial, and tends toward depression. And that’s just off the top of my head.

I’d say it’s more of a high-functioning autism. His ability to form chains of logical suppositions is definitely savant-like, but (like most autisic people) his social skills are quite poor.

Holmes is also a master of disguise, which requires a keen eye for human behavior and mannerisms - I would think any form of autism would make that extremely difficult.

Most of the folks we call ‘superheroes’ are seriously maladjusted (in my opinion) to relate to normal life. But, does that constitute ‘mental illness’? I propose that it doesn’t. Yes, Batman and Rorschach are great examples of the differences between sociopathy (Batman) and psychopathy (Rorschach).
According to David Lykken, a behavioral geneticist for the University of Minnesota,

This may well be bull-hockey, but it does point out the essential difference between Batman and the Joker: The former is a sociopath and the latter a psychopath.