Support for unification has increased dramatically in Northern Ireland over the past 8 years [morphed to Brexit revisited]

I think Sister Michael should have got her own spin-off show.

I definitely third or fourth Derry Girls. Netflix recommended it to us a year or two ago and my wife and I just binged the first two seasons over two days. (Good to know the subtitles are there – my wife and I didn’t know that was an option – but we found it understandable without.)

Back to the original topic of the thread, “Northern Ireland Sees Spams of Violence as Old Tensions Resurface.” (NY Times - paywalled).

A bus hijacked, pelted with stones, then set on fire. Masked youths rioting, hurling missiles and homemade bombs. A press photographer attacked on the streets.

For almost a week, scenes of violence familiar from Northern Ireland’s brutal past have returned in a stark warning of the fragility of a peace process, crafted more than two decades ago, that is under growing political and sectarian strain.

But analysts agree that six consecutive nights of violence, during which 55 police officers have been injured and 10 arrests made, mark a worrisome trend.

“I think it’s very serious, it’s easy to see how things can escalate and hard to see how things can calm down,” said Katy Hayward, a professor of political sociology at Queen’s University, Belfast.

OTOH, there’s this report by TLDR News, Did Brexit Spark the Belfast Riots? Whether it did or not let us hope the kids prevail and the Good Friday accords hold.

This article explores some of the reasons for the recent riots. The Loyalist, Unionist Protestant working class are pushing back against what they see as their enemy the Republicans who want unification with the South.

This is coming from the grass roots, the kids on the rough council estates, the housing projects divided between by ‘Peace Walls’ between supporters of the Republicanism and Uniification with the South and the Unionists who support Northern Ireland remaining in the UK.

The Good Friday agreement was an agreement between senior politicians on both sides. But the on the ground they see things very differently. The Unionist on the ground side feel marginalised by the drift towards unification and are pushing back. Push back in Northern Ireland means rioting.

The danger is that this cause will be taken up by the paramilitaries and the sectarian nightmare will begin again.

Despite the Good Friday agreement, the communities in Northern Ireland remained segregated along political and religious lines. That lack of integration and a lack of a shared political identity is a fault line and any perception that one sides interests are advancing at the expense of the other is likely to meet with protests, whatever cosy power sharing agreement the politicians come to.

Brexit Northern Ireland protocol, the unevenly applied Covid rules and police pressure on gang related criminality on Loyalist strongholds, seem to have been the triggers.

@ShadowFacts
Northern Ireland Sees Spams of Violence as Old Tensions Resurface.

All this going on and you still have time to make Python jokes? Was it thrown in the can or slice by slice?

you know mid thread there was a discussion of parliament should of pretty much putting Brexit on hold until it was figured out how to do it

Heres how here in the us you’d try for an end-run around a dumb decision (very simplified version )

1 someone or some entity would sue in a state or federal court saying it an illegal decision and win or lose you’d go up the judicial ladder which would take 5-10 years (or less if the court really wanted to make a decision on it)

2 then you’d go to the supreme court and pretty much explain why you’d need to overturn the decision of the peons and there be a 70/30 percent chance it gets overturned …

Now such a strategy has backfired also … so you’d pay your moneys and takes yer chances as they used to say …

Hahaha, oops. :rofl: I’ll have spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, molotov cocktails, spam, spam, spam and spam.