Surprise surprise!! Guess who opposes the repealing of the estate tax

I think pretty much by definition the opposite must be true. If I have more of something, I can afford to lose more of it. If I had 12 cars, and one got stolen, I really don’t think I’d be as upset as if I had only one car, and it got taken. This is part of the rationale behind a progressive (but not “confiscatory”) tax rate.

With our current tax rates, nothing prevents the wealthy from staying wealthy (nor should it), or even becoming more wealthy – unless they act like complete idiots with their money.

This is acually very funny. “Commie” and “merit” do not have quite the association in my mind that apparently it does in yours.

DAILY?! I rather think it happens not at all. Remember, some of us are tax professionals here- we ain’t gonna be fooled by ULs. The home would have to be worth some million dollars- and have nearly all that in 'equity" (ie no mort to speak of). And there would have to be no “surviving spouse”. And no “estate planning” etc. And- if these homes really are worth say, 2 million- how do those 'not rich" folks pay the Property tax of some $20000? if you are going to tell us these stories- i need to see some cites- and I mean with actual numbers.

And if we DO posit a home- worth 2 million- and the residents have all died (husband, wife, and whatever kids are still living there)- exactly why SHOULD 'second cousin Goerge"- who the owners did not like or trust enuf to include in Estate planning- get a 2 million $ house tax free? Remember- the Kids(or anyone else beloved & trusted) can each be given some 10K of the homes equity tax free every year- and after 40 years & 2 kids that’s some 800K sheltered. So they kids won’t be “sell the family home”- they already OWN much of the family home.

Izzy- come on now- anyone with some million dollars in assets & income to match has to engage in INCOME TAX PLANNING- so we should get rid of the Income tax? Do you really think that Bill Gates files a 1040EZ?

Well, Frank, most pros would have teed off with a wood, but it appears Tiger has reached for his iron.

Re Buffet et al

This bizarre attack is really quite puzzling. Perhaps you find it impossible to credit reasoned analysis to these folks who may, just may, actually like their offspring?

Shrug.

Warren Buffet is a liberal?

I guess that is one of the joys of knee-jerk [insert political stance], you don’t have to examine the rational argument behind a position.

In any case, Buffet’s stance is precisely the rational analysis of the reason and rational for estate taxes. That so many folks here take a knee-jerk anti-tax stance does not speak well of rational analytical skills here.

Tretiak, irony. Irony, Tretiak. I’m sure ya’ll will be best friends now that you’ve met.

Conservatives, needless to say, would never try such a thing. George W. Bush, for example, would never insist that he was a moral superior just because he wants to divert federal money to “faith-based” charities, right.

Coming right up:
http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2001/02/15/buffett/index.html

It’s been thoroughly established now in this thread that the heirs to millionaires are the only ones who will benefit if the estate tax is repealed.

But that’s not true at all, ITR! Surely their chauffeurs will benefit, and their golf instructors and fashion designers as well! You heartless bastard, do you want Donna Karen to starve to death? :wink:

IzzyR

It’s not an “effort to ward off tax reduction.” It is, mostly, a political maneuver to deprive the Republicans of their main argument against the estate tax. From the start of this debate, Republicans have been shouting about loss of family-owned farms and small businesses. As DITWD points out, it’s not the best argument; it is, however, nearly the only one they’ve been using. I guess they don’t think it would sound too good to say, “Please support this tax cut that will reduce federal revenue and help only people who, God knows, don’t need the money.” If Republicans are truly concerned about small businesses, they should wholeheartedly support the legislation you speak of. Since it’s all they’ve been talking about, it must be really important to them, right? Now they have the support of the Democrats! They should be ecstatic: small businesses will be saved!

If, after the bill’s unopposed sail through Congress, Republicans still want to provide a tax shelter for the extremely rich, they can argue for it on its own merits without the issue of poor family farmers getting in the way.

You gotta love the lengths to which conservatives will go to try to rationalize away the possibility of people who actually have enough moral principle to act against their own financial self-interest for the greater good! Check out http://www.responsiblewealth.org — some of the people involved are actually the potential heirs.

Last night, I heard an even more ludicrous rationalization from Phil Graham…Seems that he is arguing something to the effect of “Well, these are a bunch of people who have set up charitable foundations and are just acting in their own self-interest because they worry that eliminating the estate tax will reduce the bequests to their foundations.” Got it, Phil!

Why can’t you folks just face the fact that some rich people actually have consciences and understand what’s involved here.

As for this argument of “Well, if you want to give your money away to the poor, go ahead and do it yourself, but why do you want to force everyone else to”… The answer is that we have set up something here called a “society”, which some of you libertarian types may have missed, and we are fighting to set public policy in that society. The thousands of bucks I could give alone won’t go that far in helping all the poor in this country. They wouldn’t even get a penny apiece. Hell, even if Bill Gates decided to distribute all his wealth, it would only amount to about $300 for every person. This is why we have to make collective decisions about what we are going to do. It is called “democracy” … If you try it, you may grow to enjoy it!

Daniel -

You may be right, that these regular people losing longtime family homes isn’t a result of estate taxes, but rather rising property values and their inability to pay the escalating property taxes.

Some reforms have been made in property valuations here to combat this problem, but it hasn’t been fully effective.

If you think the above, however, is an Urban Legend, call the Antrim County, Michigan, Equalization Department (I’d include the number, but the mods would just take it out). Ask then what a foot of frontage on Torch Lake went for in 1920. Then ask them what it goes for now.

Ask them what a 2,000 square foot, two-story home on the lake was valued at in 1920. Then ask them what it’s valued at now.

Then ask them if any folks have been forced to sell longtime family homes because they can’t afford the taxes (again, admittedly, this may not be exclusive to estate taxes).

Then do the same think with the Charlevoix County Equalization Department, only ask about Lake Charlevoix. Or Grand Traverse County, only ask about homes on Grand Traverse Bay, Lake Michigan.

In short, if you want sites, quit acting pompous, accusatory and superior, and start dialing. We don’t have such records on-line up here.

The idea that estates and inheritances are the domain of the ultra-rich is ludicrous.

By the way, here is what the folks at Responsible Wealth have to say about the whole issue of family farms, small businesses, etc.:

You can read more about their position at http://www.responsiblewealth.org/tax_fairness/Estate_Tax/Estate_Tax_Call_Background.html

You may find today’s column on the death tax by Paul Gigot of the Wall Street Journal worth a look.

Not that this proves anything but FWIW, Andrew Carnegie agreed with Gates, Buffet et al: he thought that leaving wealth to one’s offspring was, “injudicious” and “misguided affection”, since “great sums are more for the injury than the good of the recipients”. He applauded the estate tax. Source: Wealth, 6/1889.

In 1954, my grandparents bought a $35,000 house in a neighborhood called Brentwood. In Los Angeles.

When they died in 1994, that house was worth $1.2M, just for the lot it was on. No, we couldn’t afford to keep it in the family. Gawl-lee. My dad and aunt somehow found the emotional courage to deal with being about half a mil richer, after all was said and done, despite that fact.

There is nothing in the Constitution that guarantees one the right to keep living at the same place forever, just because one could have afforded it once upon a time. I mean, it’s a shame when a situation like this, or the one you describe (yes, I believe it, btw), happens, but what it means, in the case that you cite, is that instead of having an inexpensive vacation home, these people have got a barrel of cash. It may be a shame that they can’t vacation in the same old place, but they can probably find somewhere to vacation, within their substantially increased means, that the rich haven’t found yet, but they can more than afford.

As someone who grew up in the DC area, I’ve been hearing a variation on this lament for decades now: “we’re retired, and on our limited incomes, we can no longer afford to pay the property taxes on the house we’ve lived in all our lives.” Again, what that means is, you can sell the house, collect a pile of money, and retire to somewhere with a lower cost of living. I feel sorry for you, but not nearly as sorry as for people with more intractable problems.

You know, when the company of a company town gets bought up and closes its doors, and the people who’ve been living there for generations have to move elsewhere just to find work, those people I feel sorry for. I can’t see a way for the government to preserve their way of life, but it should help them do so, a damn sight sooner than it helps people who are faced with the ‘problem’ that their home is worth too damned much money.

Milo, you’ve got the most bizarre priorities.

Oh yeah, your Pit thread is waiting.

Here’s a plan for all you bleeding heart liberals out there–a 100% estate tax. That should make EVERYONE happy.

…and was impressed by how little he said. Lots of rhetoric, but few real points.

He said that one expert claimed that estate tax repeal would actually aid charitable giving. He didn’t say why, but (a) it’s hard to imagine, and (b) it’s an extremely peripheral issue anyway.

He also said that:

I’ve never yet seen a for-instance of this. But to quote myself from the most recent FET thread,

And in a surprising development, the Wall Street Journal editorial page has come out in favor, yes, I said “in favor” of repeal of the estate tax! Can you believe it?!?!

And this just in…fish apparently prefer the ocean waters to the desert sands…and a source in Iraq has reported that the leader of their country’s leader is not the kindest and gentlest man who ever lived!

And, likearock, yes, we liberals are one nasty bunch! Hell, we’d make it 200% if we could!! :wink:

Here’s what I had to say about the estate tax, as a whole, in the last thread on the subject. It deals with the question of the heirs. But, most important, it deals with the relative impacts of the estate tax v. other taxes. Again, I’m looking for some good criticism.

The sad thing is, you probably would. Nothing like redistributing other people’s money for a liberal to get their jollies. :rolleyes: