Suspicious vehicle in front of my house..What would you do?

He didn’t say the car was in his driveway. He said his own truck was in his driveway and he looked out because he was concerned someone might be trying to get into it. The suspicious vehicle was parked on the street,

:smack: I fail reading comprehension.

He was parked in front of your house, but not in your driveway or on your property, correct?

How is it anyone’s business why he is sitting in his car? Aren’t roads public?

On your property = your business.

Not on your property = mind your own business unless you see a duct-taped and bound passenger or something else clearly wrong.

Where I live, anyone parking anywhere on this street, unless there is a party going on, would attract considerable attention and not be ignored. Neighbors would write down the license number, call their buddies at the sheriff’s office, and step up to politely confront the occupants, who would either be arrested or invited in for a drink, depending.

Which is why we have very few break-ins, and nearly 100% of those few are caught.

OTOH, in the summer, it’s probably some teenagers rolling around on the nearby beach and that’s fine as long as they don’t set the beach on fire.

I would assume he is an al-Qaeda operative trying to get in contact with the other members of his sleeper cell. Obviously, the correct move is to contact the Department of Homeland Security. After all, in this post-9/11-world you can’t be too careful.

Parking is allowed on my street, there are businesses down the street with people coming and going at various hours, and a school, church, and preschool all with various late-hours activities going on right across the street and around the corner. Unknown car parked in front of my house for extended periods, often with someone in it? That’s normal.

Oh, and everyone’s wifi is secured. I know, I’ve walked around with my iPhone checking. :smiley:

Interesting choice of UserName and post.

Streets are generally public Many public streets restrict parking, up to and including forbidding it on one or both sides. I am surprised that this is news to anyone.

I would wager that you don’t live in an “average” neighborhood.

A few weeks ago a little pickup appeared on the street near our house. I assumed it was someone visiting the neighbors, but it turned out to not be anyone nice, as I learned from a cop friend who had dealt with them. So my vote is, ask the police to do a drive-by.

Even the thread title says “in front of my house”, not “in my driveway”.

It’s my business because he’s probably up to no good. If someone is parked on a residential street, but not getting out of the car, he MIGHT be a cop or PI on a stakeout, or he might be waiting to meet someone. Otherwise, I’d be very hard pressed to think of any legitimate reason why someone is parked in front of a house, instead of a c store parking lot, say. Especially if this goes on for the better part of an hour. If he’s using his GPS or making a phone call (I’m lost, where do you live again?). On the other hand, I can think of a whole bunch of reasons why he’d be out there. He could be using someone’s unsecured wifi, he could be casing the neighborhood, or he could be a stalker who is watching someone. Or he could be doing something I couldn’t dream of.

Speaking as someone whose house was broken into, I’m GLAD that my neighbor called the cops, even though it was really none of her business. Let the parker explain himself to the cops.

To me, the warning sign isn’t that he parked in front of someone’s house, but the fact that he’s staying in the car for so long at night. I really can’t think of any legitimate reason that an ordinary citizen (that is, someone who’s not a cop or PI) would need to be doing that, especially at night.

We live in a small subdivision a few miles out in the country. A couple years ago one hot summer day (Georgia) there was a minivan parked out in front of our house. I noticed it and didn’t pay too much attention, but the neighbor across the street called and asked me if I would have my husband go out and see who it was just sitting there in the van. My husband said no, and said to call the cops. The person had been there a couple hours by this point and it had to have been really hot inside the van.

Two cop cars arrived very shortly after. After they confronted the person in the van, one of the cops came knocking on our door to let us know that the guy was actually stalking someone who lived down the street. Apparently the guy was high on something and acting very suspicious, so they did some checking. He had actually spray-painted the van himself to disguise it from the stalkee (??)

I would most definitely call the cops again in the same situation. A strange vehicle definitely arouses suspicion in our neighborhood, even in broad daylight, let alone at night. If the person isn’t doing anything wrong, no harm done anyway.

People would really call the cops, after less than an hour? Geez. Man, you’d keep the cops busy where I live because idiots think that our private road makes a good place to leave their car for hours at a time while they wander off fishing. No one gets too mad, as long as they make an effort not to literally park in the middle of the road which makes going around them hard.

We did actually call the cops last winter, though. It’s not unusual for one of my two neighbors to buy cars and small boats to sell and park them off the end of our road to be seen from the adjoining highway, so no one found it odd at first that a small truck appeared at the end of the road. After a couple of days it got broken into, and we finally noticed that there was no “for sale” sign. We checked with both neighbors to see if the vehicle was theirs before reporting it to the police, who came by to see it (they ran the plates to see if it had been reported stolen, but it hadn’t been). It stayed there for two more days before someone claimed it, so apparently the owner wasn’t in a hurry to see what had happened to it…

I almost feel like trolling people’s neighborhoods just to park in front of their houses to see what happens. But not certain neighborhoods where I feel they might approach me with illegally obtained firearms.

Except this guy was in his car, not breaking into anyones house. Roads are a public place. Unless there is an ordinance that says people can’t be in public at night, what is your point? That all citizens must either be a cop or a PI if they want to be out at night?

Legitimate reason? He doesn’t need a reason. How about because he felt like it? Maybe his mother in law was visiting and he didn’t want to go home until she was asleep. Maybe he needed a quiet place to think. Maybe he had a migraine and needed silence for it to go away. Maybe he likes to drive at night to clear his head. Maybe he just wanted to sit in his freaking car and play Farmville.

The police exist to protect and serve.

The policeman is your friend.

If the guy in question isn’t doing anything wrong, then he has nothing to worry about.

If you are concerned, call the police.

If the police aren’t concerned, then whoever is in the vehicle in front of your house is not your friend.

If you don’t know whether the guy in question is doing anything wrong, then you have someting to worry about.

I guess I don’t see sitting in a car as suspicious activity, I see it as someone minding his own business. I’ve noticed that people from the suburbs seemed scared of a lot more with a lot less reason than people in the city.

I call the cops. Sure the streets are public, but who cares. If it’s in my neighborhood then it is my business.