SUVs and Sacred Cows

I too hated the SUV. When our daughter was born, and my wife began to agitate for an SUV, I said “never”! I bought a nice, smallish, sporty “wagon”. “Much more sensible”, I thought to myself. “Handles great, good gas milage, plenty of room!” Smug in my superiority to those evil drivers of SUVs, despoilers of the environment, I lived in bliss for five years. Sure, there were moments where my smugness waivered (“Hey, why are you driving your wife’s car?”). Times like the travels to the in-laws on Christmas, when the combined volume of my wife and I, child in car seat, luggage for two adults, gifts for relatives, baby stroller, bassinette, diapers and baby clothes for a long weekend, and various and assorted other items, now seem to have been a clear foreshadowing of my destiny (I was blind, I tell you, blind!). “Never!” I cried.
Then the fateful day, and the dreaded word – “carpool”. My daughter’s school was a fifteen to twenty minute drive away – a difficult proposition made easier by the fact that three other of the school’s families lived within a few blocks of our house. Of course, they would love for us to join their carpool! And, because we have only one child, we would only need to drive one day a week! Great, I thought, this is going to be great! “Of course,” they remarked, “you need to have a car that seats seven – with book bags!”
So, I’ve learned, never say never! I championed a mini-van (the utility, the utility) – but, alas, only half heartedly, the pitiful stares of the other carpool dads were easy to imagine. So, I joined the ranks of the despoilers, the road hogs, the SUV elite.
And now I say (as I do about my switch from charcoal to gas for the grill), what was I waiting for, this is a great ride!

Keep laughin’. Hitting any pothole at 30-40 mph is never good for any vehicles suspension/front end. As a matter of fact, is a damn good way to need a visit to your local shop to get an alignment and ball joints/tie rod ends replaced.

Remember, just because it is an “SUV” that doesn’t mean its built much tougher than any car. Sure, some are but many (especially the newer, small ones) are based on car a chasis and just “look” tough.

I’m glad I’m not the only one to think of this; though I just wish that the back end was glass low enough for the average car to see through.

Besides the aforementioned gripes, why is it that the headlights of SUVs are set at such an angle that the light from them blinds anyone driving a car in front of them? And it’s not like this only happens when have their high beams on either. I’ve been told that some states used to check the angle of a vehicle’s lights during inspection to make sure they weren’t so high they’d be causing this problem. They should go back to that system.

I remember the good old days when the only SUVs were Ford Broncos, Chevy Suburbans, and Jeep Wagoneers. I remember when the average SUV came with a 454 big block engine, 4 wheel drive, vinil seats, no A/C, and no cupholders. I remember when the only people that owned them were construction workers, loggers, and house painters. SUVs were desigined for work. Not soccer moms. (Infact, i think the actual term “SUV” is a new word to make them more platable to the public) I remember them being called trucks, wagons, crew cabs, etc.
I must admit, some of the new SUVs are realy nice, in a luxury car way.
Most still come with thirsty V8 engines too :slight_smile:
But give me an 84 wagoneer without A/C rather than an excursion or envoy any day.

That’s because he was driving an all-terrain vehicle, and not an SUV. Don’t compare a Land Rover with a Suburban. In fact, I dare you to get one of THOSE into serious mud. :wink:

Make ‘em out of glass, sure, but make sure you don’t tint it opaque black like all the windows on EVERY FREAKIN’ SUV AND MINIVAN IN CALGARY!!!
Oh, and today I learned another reason why having our urban roads clogged with no-visibility vehicles is a hazard - I came to a very busy intersection, heard sirens going off around me, and couldn’t see where they were coming from thanks to being surrounded by SUVs. Turns out they were coming from a cop car that I had to drive right into the path of before I could see it. Thanks a lot, road hazards.

(What we really need are periscopes on cars. Forgot the VCR and the computer screen - give me a screen that shows me what’s on the road ahead of the five SUVs I’m driving behind.)

I have a friend who thinks we should develop vaporizing missiles to “disappear” SUVs that impede the view for normal sized cars. Particularly SUVs driven by people yapping on cell phones, oblivious to the world. I am eagerly awaiting this technology so I can get one for my Honda Civic. I see this as having two benefits – clearing the streets from these road hazards and improving the gene pool.

People have the right to drive anything they want. I have the right to think that these road monsters are worse than useless. Just wait until gas goes to $2.50 a gallon and stays there for a while.

I love my SUV. I drive a 1994 Ford Explorer, which I bought used about six years ago. It’s the perfect farm vehicle for me.

I haul anything that will fit in the back end. Lawn mowers, groceries (I shop once a month, and it’s a 50 mile drive one way), animals that need to be taken to the vet in winter and kept warm and dry (most noteably, a half dead rotweiller attacked black lab, in Minnesota, in January), firewood, chainsaw, gas cans, hay bales, kegs of beer…but never a soccer ball. We don’t even own a soccer ball. Don’t have a cell phone, either. (Yes, I have children) I’ve even hauled baby feeder pigs for my sister. Crated, of course. Oh, and the Hurst tools and power plant for our rescue squad when one of the local Jeep Rally participants rolled his jeep in the middle of nowhere. We didn’t need the jaws, but mine was the only vehicle available that was able to get it there.

It’s great for traveling. When we go on vacation, we camp. Remote, primitive camping. Our favorite camping spot involves driving down 6 miles of abandoned railroad bed. Couldn’t do it with a mini van or a car. Tent and gear in the back end, canoe on the roof and we’re good to go for at least two weeks.

Love my snowplow. Love my 4 wheel drive. Without them there would be times I would have to park a half mile away from home and leave my vehicle unattended on a public road. I live in an extremely rural area and my driveway is very long. In the winter we deal with snow, sometimes for days before the county plows can get out here. In the spring we deal with mud. Miles and miles of mud.

If I recall correctly my Explorer is green, but since I haven’t washed it for a couple years I’m no longer positive. The nice little padded top for the center armrest broke off last year. Neither of the front seats slide up or back anymore. The AC has never worked, and the heater is iffy on a good day. The digital display on my radio says “BAD” and I can’t shut it off, no music either. I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to replace it or not.

But the best things about it is that it starts every time I turn the key, and that it’s paid for.

Yea, you can justify owning a truck. But most folks driving 'em can’t tell a farm from a campsite.

I thought of another idea. This would be a safety device for compact and sub-compact cars only. Imagine a sophisticated radar system that has the signature of SUV’s programmed in to it’s brain. When it detects an imminent collision, it deploys the 6-foot long armor piercing spikes! Sort of a “you kill me with your gross excess, I’m taking you with me” sort of a deal.

Hey rjung I think you are taking it a bit personal here. When did I block your view? When did I hog your parking space? Don’t blame me for the actions of other drivers out there. I’ve seen plenty of people driving Honda Accords acting like assholes out there. Was one of them you?

I can park the surburban in any regular space. I don’t feel the need to take up 2 or 3 slots just so no one can park beside me like some other drivers do. I’m paying for my own gas so why should you give a rat’s ass about it. Finally, I have been driving for over 25 years and have never “lost control of my Suburban Behemoth” and plowed into anyone. Can you say the same?

I can take all the jabs about the SUV in stride because I do drive one on occasion when the situation warrants but don’t think I am going to accept your theory that you are somehow entitled to act like a rude inconsiderate asshole when responding to me. Your reaction is neither warranted or appreciated. Get over your fucking self.

(My other car is Pontiac Grand Prix with excellant gas milage BTW)

I was using “you” in the general sense, but I guess I needed to make that clearer for you. I’ll also make a note to diagram my jokes for you, okay? :slight_smile:

I think you just pulled a pot-kettle-black here, dear. :slight_smile:

(And I don’t think any of those “assholes” you’re referring to was me, especially since I’ve never driven a Honda Accord.)

Because the prices go up wne overall demand is higher. Since all those SUVs out there are drinking gasoline at 3x the rate of everyone else, that increases overall demand that much faster, which raises rates for all of us.

And, of course, there’s still the issue of increased pollution and increased road damage from all those SUVs hitting the asphalt. I don’t suppose you use a smoggie-scooper to pick up the mess your SUV spits out, perchance? Do you patch your own potholes, too?

Damn straight I can.

If you in your SUV ran into me driving my hatchback, my chances of getting mangled and/or killed is greater than yours. That implies that – by choosing to drive an SUV – you rank your life as more important than mine. So who’s being the rude and inconsiderate asshole here?

When you quote my posts and use my words then I am correct in assuming that your comments are being addressed to me. You do know the meaning of quote don’t you?

Pot kettle black, uhm no I don’t think so. I’m just saying that not every SUV driver is an evil bastard intent on running over all the pissy little cars in their way and not every Honda Accord driver displays good sense and perfect reasoning.

RE: gas prices, 3x consumption. Cite please?

I am going to show you how the quote feature works. Try to keep up.

[sub] this what you said and towards which my response is directed[/sub]

[sub] this is my response to the above quoted passage[/sub]

I implied no such thing. It is you who is taking one single fact and contorting it to fit your argument. You have no way of knowing what my reasons are for driving an SUV and what its gas milage is and you have no way of knowing how much value I place on anyone’s life, much less yours specifically. As for the answer to your last question I’ll just hand you a mirrorand direct you to your previous comment.

If you want to preach to me about the evil that is SUV’s and the people that drive them then you better come prepared with more than just your half baked opinions and distorted facts cause they just don’t hold up.

Interesting, according to www.hondacars.com and www.ford.com:

Estimated MPG
Honda Accord V6 20/28
Ford Escape V6 23/27
Ford Explorer V8 17/21

Not quite “gas guzzling” as purported by the “I’m so practical” Honda driving crowd on the SDMB.

It’s not GD here but at least provide some stats to support your SUV ravings…

MeanJoe

Okay.

And this is just after two minutes’ searching on the internet, kids…

Rjung, I still can’t figure out why you have singled me out as the target of your diatribe but I am officially sick of it.

If you have a problem with me specifically then take it to the pit otherwise leave me the fuck out of your pathetic one note song of an argument. It is shrill and tiresome to hear. It is based on “facts” gathered solely to support your point of view without taking any opposing view into consideration.

My SUV passes strict Ohio EPA emmisions tests, cost very little more to drive than my Grand Prix and is driven when needed. It is also paid for.

Do you think that I am going to read some random fact on a message board, suddenly be converted to your point of view and then take the damned thing out and have it destroyed ? What exactly are you trying to accomplish other than chiming in “me too”.

I think all has been said on this subject that is revelant. Anything more is just beating a dead horse. I like our SUV and consider it a safe, efficent, extremely useful vehicle. If you don’t like SUV’s, then don’t drive one. Simple isn’t it?

If I may ask a question about this….First of all, that generalized sentiment is reasonable on the surface, however I do have a couple of questions (preceded by a disclaimer).

Let us assume for a moment that all of the studies about emissions, SUV rollovers and fuel efficiency are pure fiction put forward by some leftist agenda for unfathomable reasons. Let us talk physics (and I will personalize a bit). I drive a sub-compact car that gets excellent gas mileage (apx 35 MPG in the city ). I choose to do this because I care about fuel efficiency and (to be honest) grew up in the 70s when that value was drilled in to my head. The affordability (I am not middle class) of the vehicle is also a factor. The fact remains that if I am in a wreck with an SUV, unless it is at very low speed, I am effectively dead. Couple that with the fact that so many of them on the road increase my chances of being in a wreck (due to the fact that I can not see around then and they may have a hard time seeing me (I am smaller and lower)).

My sense is that a lot of the hostility directed towards SUV’s has more to do with the fact that the tend to remove choice from those that do not want one. The car that I drive has excellent safety features (airbags, good crumple zones and the like), but has effectively been made unsafe by all of these huge vehicles on the road. In essence, all of the people exercising their choice to drive these vehicles are limiting my freedom. I guess that I have a problem with that.

So the main argument against an SUV is that if you get in a wreck with one then you have a lessened chance of emerging unscathed?

Well you better go out there and eliminate all the pickup trucks, U-hauls, tractor trailers, moving vans and RV’s because those things can really fuck you up if they hit you. The fact that they are serving a specific and useful purpose apparently isn’t a factor.

And then while you’re at it you should get rid of all the brick walls, trees, bridges, overpasses, dividers, ditches and buildings too because those things are huge and they are literally everywhere man. :rolleyes:

** The Mermaid** I guess that I was not as clear as I might have been. For that, please accept my apologies.

In truth, it is a matter both of the perceived usefulness of these vehicles combined with the sheer scale of the issue (there are a whole lot more of these on the road than there were a few short years ago). It has been said that the function that these vehicles serve (commuting, transporting children and large amounts of groceries and the like) is just as readily achieved by vehicles like the Minivan or a Station Wagon. A wreck with either of these classes of vehicles would not be the catastrophic event for a sub-compact kind of car as would one with an SUV. All that being said, the SUV seems like a created market (or fad) that has a negative impact on the lives of folks like me.

I am honestly not trying to stir the pot here (promise) but will ask you in what way an SUV is serving a transportation need for you that a Minivan or a Station Wagon would not.

Also, on a personal note, I am finding the tone of your post to be a tad more sarcastic than I think that I deserve. I am pretty sure that if I hit a stationary object (brick walls, trees, bridges, overpasses, dividers, ditches and so forth) I am either drunk or stupid and probably have earned my injuries (or it was hidden behind a huge vehicle that I could not see around…). Also there are a whole lot more SUV’s on the road than U-hauls and so forth and people driving Moving vans, tractor trailers and so on do not behave as if they are just driving a car. They drive it as if they are driving a heavy rig.

Well, you’ve obviously never met my father. He’s a disabled Korean War veteran with an artificial hip and reduced mobility after being somewhat perforated in the line of duty back in 1950. He has trouble getting into most cars - in fact, it hurts him quite a bit to get into and out of any car lower to the ground than a full-sized pickup. He just can’t lower himself down into a car seat. This is a big reason that my parents own a Dodge Ram pickup and a GMC Suburban. Of course, I’m sure he’s just faking it so he can park closer to the store.

Now, I’m already hip-deep in another SUV thread and am not really interested in wading into this one and repeating myself, but I had to respond to that statement. Please go on about your business.