Synthetic cells!

I know this isn’t exactly a whoosh, but I think you’re still missing the point of my comment.

This is amazingly awesome stuff we’re talking about, and I was trying to underline the point that only science - real science that makes falsifiable predictions and is willing to accept an answer contrary to preconceived notions - could deliver such innovation. The fact that this is an intelligently designed cell seemed like a cheeky opportunity to say that.

That’s really good comparison – though to be more accurate, you have to take away all of Tony Stark’s charisma… I’ve been to department social events where the researchers inevitably start trading stories of famous scientists who say offensive things, and there are a lot of stories about Venter…

To be fair, this isn’t an intelligently designed cell - it is a slightly modified naturally evolved genome that has been assembled synthetically and inserted into a cell body. A major achievement, and one that gives hope for the future of synthetic biology, but it is a long way from synthetic life.

What this does do is open up the possibility of trimming the genome down until we have a better picture of what is actually required for the cell to work, without mucking about with DNA knockouts or viral insertions and other approaches.

Si

Tony Stark designs and builds all his stuff in his custom workshop. I am certain that Venter had nothing to do with the actual hands-on work involved in this research. He has people for that. His job is to attract funding and attention. He likely designed the initial research, but if he’s smart he would have allowed his talented scientific staff to design and modify the actual experiments.

I know this because this is how all big science is done. It is how my own science is done (for the most part). I design it initially, get the funding, then have my students, post-docs and technicians actually do the work. I do have significant input on troubleshooting (because I have been around long enough to often know why something isn’t working) but I haven’t actually picked up a pipette in 5 years. My people are much better than me in terms of technical skills - I am the idea man.

Unfortunately (?), most scientists, if they are successful, become administrators.

I read the OP title as “Synthetic eels”, which is just pointless. Unless they’re synthetic electric eels and can be used as an energy source.

StG

Maybe they can power a hovercraft?

Pretty much what I was going to say. It’s a major achievement, but let’s not get to excited. It’s nothing close to synthetic life.