Syria: Putin succeeds where Obama failed

Instead of the good new days of being a client-state for the Russian Federation? :stuck_out_tongue:

eta: opps, missed the humour

Another great success for Putin is turning Turkey; a year ago they were on the verge of war with Turkey shooting down a Russian plane.

Now we have Russia, Iran and a NATO ally carving up Syria with all western powers absentia.

No wonder Netanyahu’s freaking out, the geo-politics hit the fan even before the UN resolution.

The “success” of Putin with the Turkey has one word to explain: YPG. It is the Kurds… who are not part of this ceasefire so called , already with the airstrips violating it a la Russe…

putin is bailing out a formerly KGB/soviet supported thug-ally so none of the moselm dominated areas in whats left of Russia gets the same idea like Chechnya did

what to me makes this treasonous is assads been known to support terrorist groups that are anti us

Its just one bastard supporting another bastard in the end … like china supporting north korea

If bin laden was still alive id of worked out a deal (to a point)to revive the mujahedeen and harass them all for 50 years …

GH Bush iin the book he wrote with Scrocraf said he didn’t go into Baghdad as some wanted, because he was warned that the troubles we are haiving now would happen, He was told it would arouse all the wack jobs in the area, and that is what happened. I believe GW was given false advice. When GW was asked if he had consulted his father, I read that his reply was" I asked a higher father".

I imagine once this current cease-fire fails, the OP will start another thread blaming Obama for that, too.

It will fail.

It’s such a good thing that murderous dictator Assad has his power back, isn’t it, OP? And it was a terrible thing that Obama and SecState Clinton actually tried to help get rid of Khadafy. It’s a brand new morning, now that Trump will put a stop to all of that “America is the Beacon of Freedom” nonsense.

Even Reagan would be appalled.

Here’s the deal: there was never anything the United States, particularly under Obama, was going to do to change the outcome. Obama was the one who tried to grow a pair and talked about “red lines” – and did nothing.

Not that I blame Obama – I don’t. I think Obama had the pulse of the country by not committing himself to another long, drawn out conflict that the US couldn’t win. But that’s also what made it frustrating to watch him at times. He knew the US needed to lower its profile, but then he started talking himself into a conflict against Assad, and talked himself (at Hillary’s urging) into getting involved in Libya.

Obama was elected because we thought he’d stay out of wars, not because we thought he’d get us into new conflicts. The reverse side of that coin is that people like Putin, Assad, Erdogan, and now Duterte know that Obama’s a softy. And they exploited him for it.

The US supports Saudi Arabia, which supports Al Qaida and ISIS.

Just sayin’.

How many trillions of dollars and American lives did GW spend to wage the Iraq War?

How many trillions of dollars and American lives did Obama spend on Syria?

Did Russia act out of concern for the average Syrian or to maintain political advantage in the region?

In answering these questions you will understand the “Liberal” thought process.

I am sure this ceasefire is much likelier to succeed, since far more people in Syria are now dead, and dead people don’t shoot back.

The fall of Aleppo isn’t a “ceasefire,” it’s a military victory for an evil dictator and his Russian backers. Characterizing slaughtering people and declaring the wasteland a peace a successful “ceasefire” is a perversion.

The ceasefire isn’t restricted to Aleppo.

Assad ( or maybe Putin or both ) are treasonous to the USA ?

Who Died and made the USA God ?

I think Putin’s just desperate to show the world Russia still deserves to sit at the grownup’s table, and show off Russian weapons to potential buyers. I don’t think bombing civilians haphazardly is winning over the hearts of the middle east, and he’s certainly not making friends among the Sunni. He probably wanted to rush in, save the day and rush back out, but the longer he stays the more expensive it is and the higher the Russian body count gets. It’s illegal in Russia to report on the Russian death count, but the Russian people don’t have infinite patience and tolerance.

Aside from the thug Putin bolstering the thug Assad, there does not appear to be any real difference between the results of Obama’s actions and the result of Putin’s actions:
(2 hours ago) Syrian cease-fire crumbles as government forces advance around Damascus
(22 hours ago) Syria rebels freeze talks on Russia-backed peace conference due to ceasefire violations

Obama pretty much failed, but trumpeting Putin’s “success” is like praising the “success” of the Soviet Union in moderating the Afghan civil war.

You understand the USA - and the west in general - is basically now excluded from shaping the future of Syria and much of the region.

It isn’t Putin who is in any way “desperate”.

I don’t think Putin is concerned about what the people in these countries think. He’s not a big fan of democracy. But he’s demonstrated that the regimes in Middle Eastern countries can still count on Russian assistance to stay in power.

I doubt Putin is very concerned about public opinion in Russia either - as long as the Russian army stays loyal to him.

What is Russia going to do? Be friends with Assad and Iran? So? How is that different? Assad is on his way out, even if the US doesn’t do it. Who knows what Syria is going to look like two years from now, if there even is a Syria. I like that Putin is spending like a rich western power. He can’t really afford it.

I don’t know what resources you generally rely on but the war is over, Assad won and the status quo won’t change. Furthermore, Russia is emboldened, internationally respected and Putin’s domestic position is unassailable.