Taco, fajita, burrito, what's the difference? They're all wrapped in tortillas, aren't they?

Not quite. There are tacos dorados, which are tacos that are fried so they crisp up into a hard shell. They’re different in that the shells are not preformed like their American counterparts, but the effect is similar.

It’s an apocryphal story. Supposedly the man’s name was Juan Mendez who hocked his burritos in Juarez during the Mexican Revolution (1910-1921), however the word burrito referring to food appears in Mexican dictionaries much earlier than that, at least to 1895.

An accurate history can be found here.

Fajitas is actually the meat, which is beef–chicken, shrimp, etc. are not true fajitas. And they’re a south Texas invention. Actually, here, we call just about everything in a tortilla a taco. In El Paso, there are burritos and tacos. Not in deep south Texas. It’s ALL tacos.

No one has ever heard of the joke about the lady who walks into a Mexican restaurant and asks:

*What’s a TAY-co?

Meat, beans and rice in a tortilla.

What’s a burr-EE-to?

Meat, beans and rice in a toritilla.

What’s a en-chee-LAY-da?

Meat…*

Jim Gaffigan on Mexican food (1:51)

Yes. Pre-fried taco shells are definitely a Tex-Mex invention. And, made with fresh ingredients, crispy tacos can be delicious! But tacos dorados, fried after construction, may be found in Mexico.

I’ve heard that Burritos came from California; Houston Mex-Mex places call them “LA Style.” They are made from flour tortillas, which are not as tasty as corn tortillas but wrap large amounts of food more securely. (Deep-fry a Burrito to get a Chimichanga!)

Fajitas are, specifically, marinated & grilled skirt steak. They are usually served with flour tortillas, beans & assorted accompaniments. Chicken & shrimp can be cooked & served the same way but should not be called “fajitas.” (Said the pedant who still gets mad when people misuse “decimate.”) Of course, you can make tacos out of fajitas…

And a burrito enchilada is a burrito with a spicy red sauce and cheese poured on top.

When I was a kid in Oklahoma we used to eat Taco Tico quite a bit, but that was 30 years ago. Their jingle at the time was something along the lines of “mumblemumble Taco Tico for a mouthful of fun”

Thanks for the trip down memory lane

In my area (southeast US):
Taco: Ground, shredded, or finely chopped meat in a **small shell (hard corn, soft corn, or flour). Tacos seldom (never?) contain rice or beans. Usually folded **rather than rolled.

Burrito: Ground, shredded, or finely chopped meat in a large flour shell, which is **rolled and folded closed **at the ends. Burritos often contain rice and/or beans.

Fajitas: **Grilled meat **in large chunks along with grilled peppers and onions. Typically presented on a sizzling iron pan with several small flour or soft corn tortillas on the side.

Enchilada: Ground, shredded, or finely chopped meat in a **corn shell **which is rolled but not folded. Covered in a spicy sauce and melted cheese.

Ground anything in a taco, burrito, or enchilada is Comida Gavacho, and should never be called Mexican…

P.S. I’m in Southern California, where if you want it more Mexican, just drive 90 or so miles south to “Mecca”

The Onion-Taco Bell’s Five Ingredients

Enchiladas take a whole slew of forms. I see that you have limited it to your regional definition. The main thing enchiladas have in common is that the tortilla is in some way en-chile-d. This means that the tortilla is either dipped in a spicy chili sauce of some sort (it can be tomato-based, tomatillo-based, mole-based, etc.), poured over with this sauce, or, in the case of enchiladas potosinas, the chiles are mixed into the masa in the making of the tortilla. They can be rolled or folded. They can be baked or fried (as in the case of the enchiladas potosinas). They may or may not have cheese on them.

Picadillo is not Mexican?

It doesn’t have to be red, but it has to be made with chiles. There needn’t be any cheese. Enchilada means literally “in chile”. My understanding is that in Mexico the tortilla is dipped in chili sauce and then can be finished a few different ways depending on whether it’s a home meal or street food. The couple of Mexicans I’ve talked to don’t recognize the weird baked lasagna style food some Americans make.

No, that’s Cuban.

Pretty darn sure it’s featured in Mexican cuisine, too…

I’ve lived in Tucson for 15 years and have never once seen it offered on a menu at a Mexican restaurant, or ever had it prepared by any of my friends or coworkers of Mexican descent. So I guess it’s possible, but it’s a well-kept secret.

Odd. Pretty common around here among the Mexican immigrants. Mexican from Mexico City and the Yucatan, from what I’ve seen, prepare it.

Here’s one recipe.

Here’s Rick Bayless’s take on it.

And Zarela Martinez.

I’m surprised you’ve never seen it, but these things can get quite regional.

I don’t think anyone has explained quesadillas yet, either. They’re pretty simple: Put a whole bunch of cheese and maybe some other stuff on a tortilla, fold it over, and grill it (preferably with pressure on both sides) until the cheese melts and fuses it together. At least, that’s the American version, but I think there are also omelet-like egg-based quesadillas in Mexico. In any event, it’s the cheese that’s important.

And in case you’re wondering, a tamale is not a variant on a taco. It’s basically cornbread, possibly with meat and/or vegetables mixed in, wrapped in a corn husk and baked.

Of course there’s Mexican picadillo!! I use it to fill enchiladas, tacos, and gorditas. I hate the more Caribbean style that has sweet stuff like raisins, etc. The kind I make (and the kind I’ve seen most people use) is savory with chile & potatoes.