Taco, fajita, burrito, what's the difference? They're all wrapped in tortillas, aren't they?

I agree, but the OP specifically mentioned that burritos have rice and beans in them and to me that is a Chipotle style burrito; not authentic at all.

Other similar food items I don’t see mentioned:

flautas (flutes)- or as they are known here in the US “Rolled Tacos”. These are typically corn tortillas rolled tightly around a meat filling and fried.

Chimichangas are american - these are burritos (A flour tortilla around meat with cheese is common) and fried. Sometimes they are doused in sauce.

When it comes to Tex-Mex food, authenticity is pretty much a pointless concept. Inauthentic Tex-Mex is by far the vast majority of what’s available. The student has surpassed the master.

So far as I can tell, there is nothing inauthentic (in terms of Mexican cuisine south of the US border) with rice or beans on a burrito. Perhaps CBEscapee can set us straight on this. I’ve never had a burrito in Mexico, but I know beans on a taco is pretty common. It looks to me like the lettuce, tomatoes, and additional fresh ingredients are more of an American thing than beans or rice.

[psuedo deep philosophy student]But if it’s made in Texas, and inspired by Mexico, can it not be Tex-Mex? [/pdps]

My answer is no. Unless it’s some crazy fusion stuff.

I used to frequent El Mexicanos in Los Angeles. Maybe it’s not actually in Mexico, but they played Mariachi music all the time, it was too spicy for some gringos, the countermen didn’t speak English, and their major audience didn’t appear to, either. Looked pretty authentic to me, at least compared to Taco Bell.

Their burritos had rice & beans by default. I’m not fond of beans, so I always asked for it without. Since that meant there was more room for the meat, I paid more, which was fine with me. Greaaat burritos.

Rice no. Beans can definitely be found in burritos. My favorite is a machaca burrito made with boiled beans. Bean and cheese burritos are common. One place I go has excellent chicken burritos with shredded chicken, beans, chihuahua cheese and a nice green salsa. These places are run by people from northern states. Burritos are not a typical dish in my part of México but there are a number of places in Guadalajara that specialize in them.

Thank you. I appreciate the information. It’s my understanding that Ciudad Juarez (being right on the New Mexican border) is the nexus for burritos in Mexico.Is this right? I didn’t realize there’s a good showing of them as far south as Guadalajara. I thought these were more a Northern Mexican thing. What’s the story?

Meh–after eating at the Mexican place in my hometown where we were the only customers who spoke English, and nearly getting lard poisoning, authenticity has been a very low priority to me in any cuisine. I’m looking for delicious, not authentic.

Best place around here is a place that does Mexicali, very very fresh ingredients, a complimentary bean dip with a decent spice kick, and freakin’ awesome fajitas. Probably nothing like what you’d get in Guadalajara, but that’s okay by me, since it’s, I repeat, freakin’ awesome.

More like what’s the difference between a sub, a gyro, a hero or a hoagy?

Most burritos I’ve ever had have included rice and beans, and I’ve never heard Flautas called anything except Flautas or Taquitos. And I’ve never heard of a “Rolled Taco”. Somehow, that name sounds like an unfortunate euphemism of some sort. :smiley:

The Burrito Bigger Than Your Head was invented in Los Angeles. By Mexicans. It was consumed by Mexicans (& Mexican-Americans) long before it was adopted by Chipotle. And most Houston Chipotles are staffed by Mexicans (or Mexican-Americans), anyway.

San Francisco, actually. Known as a “Mission-style” burrito.

It is no different here than in your country. In a big city like Guadalajara we have restaurants offering the regional cuisine from other parts of the country. There is a place near my home that serves dishes from the Yucatàn. Another has cuisine from Oaxaca etc.

My favorite burritos come from a place called “el Sinaloense” . The name needs no explanation but the state is a long way from Jùarez.

In Sonora they make a very big burrito called a burro percheròn with a tortilla de harina called a sobaquera which is a tortilla as big as the arm of the person who makes it.

I am amused by all of the different responses posted . A taco is just the generic term for the most part for something eaten inside a tortilla. Doesn’t matter if it corn of wheat. A burrito is a form of a taco using a flour tortilla. Just as a hamburger is a sandwhich using a bun instead of slices of bread. Put cheese on the burger and it is a cheeseburger but still a sandwhich.

And anything can be put inside a taco. Even just coarse salt on a tortilla directly off the hot comal. Sometimes at the local tortillerìa un taco de sal is given to the customers to show them what good tortillas they produce.

The difference between a sub and a hoagie is the way the bread is sliced: Completely into two pieces for a sub and then stacked, or most of the way (but not completely) through the side for a hoagie, like a hot dog bun. I’m not sure of the precise distinction for a hero, and have no idea what a gyro is doing in the comparison.

The ones that have been added to a zillion rock album covers are tacos.