Tattoo policies in the workplace - advice sought

The OP is in Montana, I’m the guy in Fl. :wink:

Please, by all means, point out the post that I stated that I was the most valuable employee ever and that they wouldn’t get by without me. Do me a favor and get off your high horse and stop spouting your condescending nonsense.

I respect the knowledge-base on this website. I never would have asked for advice here otherwise. I know where to mine the nuggets of valuable information and when to ignore the morons. I appreciate the conservative advice, and I wish I was brave enough to give voice to some of the more aggressive suggestions given in this thread. Ultimately, how to proceed will be my decision.

It was asked for earlier, so here’s the exact wording of the new personal appearance and dress code policy.

Ya’ know, I really got to stop clicking on tatto threads.

I understand where the company is coming from, they don’t want to scare away customers. But still, how awesome would it be if said companies would just give the big middle finger towards all those jack asses who think they are superior simply because they don’t have any body ink?

But I’m so GOOD at being condescending because I’m ever so much BETTER a human being than you! Consider yourself lucky I deigned to address your petty little problems. (BIG :wink: as in, “That was intended as a joke at my own expense because I do get that way sometimes.”)

Yep, you are condemned to a career there wearing high collars and turtlenecks year round, so start shopping for them or a new job. That’s a bog-standard dress code and it is to be enforced by supervisors who need to cover their own asses no matter how valuable you actually are.

I’ve worked for a major employer that, once you add up all the subsidiaries, has over 100 million customers so it was considerably more than “Bob’s Ant Farm”. Sorry it’s so inconceivable to you that I might have worked as an underling to high level executives but in fact I did. And being that I was an underling they treated me much as the paint on the wall or carpet on the floor and happily discussed amongst themselves their opinions on all manner of things while I dispensed coffee and donuts and got the slide show working properly.

What they’ll say in a publication or in a formal survey is not necessarily what they actually believe. I’ve met several dozen (at least) CEO’s and in my experience absolutely none of them ever wanted to see a visible tattoo on an employee at any level. Now, maybe at Bubba’s Tattoo Parlor or some ultra-hip recording company or high tech start up that’s not a problem, but in major companies established for decades the view at the top tends to be rather more conservative on these matters.

I’m feeling ever so very validated: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=644105

I am not going to quote this one to my friend with the tramp stamp:

Okay, maybe I will. :wink:

I have no trouble believing you were treated as an unworthy underling by higher-ups; I have trouble believing that 1) there’s a consensus among the corporate CEO community at large on tattoos, and 2) that you’re in well with a large enough swath of them to know what they generally believe.

This being the Dope, I am going to guess the corporate offices of Taco Bell.

Wow. A Doper might have had a good job at a big company. Don’t that just beat all! :rolleyes:

A rule of thumb is that, if you want to get along with the higher ups, follow their lead. For instance, if the CEO doesn’t have visible tattoos, don’t get visible tattoos.

If I were in your shoes, OP, I would definitely attempt to positively influence a policy change, presenting a perspective of moderation that’ll leave everyone happy. After all, I like to think (perhaps entirely naively) it’s rare that companies are trying to be outright draconian just for the sake of being dicks. In my experience, it’s not all that uncommon for rule changes like this one to initially be way over the top---- then scaled back pretty significantly after much deliberation and discussion. So, I’d saying presenting your side (and the side of the other tattooed employees) positively and fairly-- perhaps conceding your understanding of the company’s motivation for change-- will get you pretty far. You catch more flies with honey and all that.

I’ve got three tattoos-- one on the right side of each ankle (each is maybe silver dollar sized), as well as “love” tattooed on my inner left wrist in dark blue (also silver dollar sized). I work for a tax business and coach high school debate on the side- and despite me having all three tattoos visible virtually every single day, most people don’t even notice. Heck, I spent a year teaching Catholic school with my tattoos out and it wasn’t until literally the last day of school that the kids realized I even had tattoos. I was letting the kids ask me whatever they wanted and one asked if I had tattoos-- I paused, sort of gave the kid an incredulous look, turned to the side, and pointed down to my ankles. Cue the entire class freaking out. “WHAT?! MS. BELLISSIMA! WE HAD NO IDEA YOU HAD TATTOOS!OMG!”

Obviously though, if someone has bigger tattoos than me, sneaking them into the workplace is probably a little harder. :smiley: Then again, maybe you shouldn’t listen to me. After all, it wasn’t until this thread that I learned having “love” tattooed on my inner wrist was as bad as the Holocaust.

Seriously? In addition to gym-owners telling your husband he can’t join because he “walks funny”, people telling you that you will never attract a “real man” if you don’t pluck your eyebrows and wear makeup, and people telling you to dump your husband and get with someone who can give you babies—all of which you have claimed on this board—now you have poeple saying that if you were truly tattoo-tolerant you would get one yourself? Really?

And if the CEO has mutton chops and a bad combover, you’d better damn well have them too, missy!

Damn straight. And pronto.

ETA: Wait, I know women with bad combovers and there I was, thinking they just hadn’t discovered Rogaine, when they were really modeling their bosses!

Are you confusing your life with that of Arya Stark’s again?

That Tywin Lannister can put *away *some fuckin’ donuts.

:confused:, and not just because I don’t get Game of Thrones references. Why is it so difficult for people to believe that women in the workplace, especially if they are of a lower status, like clerical workers, are often treated as if they were invisible? The women’s movement was started, in part, as a response to that but forty years later it still happens.

You seem fun.

That’s not the part that we’re struggling with, dingus.

It’s what Bob Ducca, SylverOne, and you imply when you dismiss Broomstick’s experiences as fantasies.

I, and I strongly suspect the others you mention, would have the same feelings about Broomstick’s stories regardless of her gender.