Tattoo policies in the workplace - advice sought

If I were in your shoes, OP, I would definitely attempt to positively influence a policy change, presenting a perspective of moderation that’ll leave everyone happy. After all, I like to think (perhaps entirely naively) it’s rare that companies are trying to be outright draconian just for the sake of being dicks. In my experience, it’s not all that uncommon for rule changes like this one to initially be way over the top---- then scaled back pretty significantly after much deliberation and discussion. So, I’d saying presenting your side (and the side of the other tattooed employees) positively and fairly-- perhaps conceding your understanding of the company’s motivation for change-- will get you pretty far. You catch more flies with honey and all that.

I’ve got three tattoos-- one on the right side of each ankle (each is maybe silver dollar sized), as well as “love” tattooed on my inner left wrist in dark blue (also silver dollar sized). I work for a tax business and coach high school debate on the side- and despite me having all three tattoos visible virtually every single day, most people don’t even notice. Heck, I spent a year teaching Catholic school with my tattoos out and it wasn’t until literally the last day of school that the kids realized I even had tattoos. I was letting the kids ask me whatever they wanted and one asked if I had tattoos-- I paused, sort of gave the kid an incredulous look, turned to the side, and pointed down to my ankles. Cue the entire class freaking out. “WHAT?! MS. BELLISSIMA! WE HAD NO IDEA YOU HAD TATTOOS!OMG!”

Obviously though, if someone has bigger tattoos than me, sneaking them into the workplace is probably a little harder. :smiley: Then again, maybe you shouldn’t listen to me. After all, it wasn’t until this thread that I learned having “love” tattooed on my inner wrist was as bad as the Holocaust.

Seriously? In addition to gym-owners telling your husband he can’t join because he “walks funny”, people telling you that you will never attract a “real man” if you don’t pluck your eyebrows and wear makeup, and people telling you to dump your husband and get with someone who can give you babies—all of which you have claimed on this board—now you have poeple saying that if you were truly tattoo-tolerant you would get one yourself? Really?

And if the CEO has mutton chops and a bad combover, you’d better damn well have them too, missy!

Damn straight. And pronto.

ETA: Wait, I know women with bad combovers and there I was, thinking they just hadn’t discovered Rogaine, when they were really modeling their bosses!

Are you confusing your life with that of Arya Stark’s again?

That Tywin Lannister can put *away *some fuckin’ donuts.

:confused:, and not just because I don’t get Game of Thrones references. Why is it so difficult for people to believe that women in the workplace, especially if they are of a lower status, like clerical workers, are often treated as if they were invisible? The women’s movement was started, in part, as a response to that but forty years later it still happens.

You seem fun.

That’s not the part that we’re struggling with, dingus.

It’s what Bob Ducca, SylverOne, and you imply when you dismiss Broomstick’s experiences as fantasies.

I, and I strongly suspect the others you mention, would have the same feelings about Broomstick’s stories regardless of her gender.

I saw much of what she describes. Do you dismiss my stories, too?

Yes, but only because you’re a woman.

Bro, you are the second person on this board to think I’m a woman. It it something I said? Is it a vibe I emit? Or is it a whoosh? Because I’m laughing at it’s pure whooshiness. I mean, I saw that stuff. I didn’t experience it. I’m just standing in solidarity with my sisters because it might help me get la…no, that’s not it. It’s because there’s nothing like having three daughters to radicalize a guy.

In that case, I believe everything you’ve ever posted.

Bob, you cray.

And dropzone, are you high? Why do you think we’re denying sexism in the workplace, especially of women in clerical jobs? I’ll let you in on a little secret: I’m a woman, and (oh yes, there’s an “and!”) have worked almost exclusively in male-dominated industries. Nepotism and sexism are rampant. And? What does this have to do with my skepticism re: Broomie’s knowledge of the non-existent global CEO consensus on tattoos that she claims to be privy to because she was an assistant at a big company?

I realize people with tattoos like them or obviously they wouldn’t get them. Basically you’re carrying around art. Taste in art is personal and companies aren’t interested in being your art gallery.

It’s much more complicated than that, because people also decorate themselves with clothing, jewelry, and make-up, and decorate their personal spaces to a greater or lesser degrees. All workplaces expect some degree of conformity to the general workplace culture, and all (even those with uniforms) tolerate some variety within it. The company is not interested in being your art gallery, but at the same time it cannot avoid hosting some of your æsthetic preferences. Smart employers set reasonable limits, or empower someone to make decisions on a case by case basis, and stupid employers waste their time with one-size-fits-all rules that avoid having to think about the underlying issues.

Huh? Muffin tops aren’t a trend. They’re something to avoid.

If it’s not a trend then why is it so popular?

(signed) dropzone, who knows better than to expose much of my skin at all.