Teen detained after crossing border fights to have abortion

I ardently oppose abortion.

But I recognize that my ardent wishes do not translate into controlling law. (Ah, USA, how much better off we’d all be if they did…)

So sadly, I think the analysis above is correct. If you detain someone, then you assume responsibility for their medical care, and that category includes abortion (at present).

Putting it simply, the state owes the detainee a duty of care.

As I noted earlier in the thread, time is not on the young lady’s side.

So they can’t prevent her from getting an abortion, but they can prevent her from leaving the facility where she is incarcerated, is how I’m understanding this on a practical level; is that incorrect?

When a medical procedure has an expiration date, it makes a difference. For example, if your tumor does not need to be removed RIGHT NOW, but if it is not, then in 4 or 5 months, your whole leg will need to be amputated, and if you have the tumor removed NOW, the chances are, you won’t need chemo, but if we wait a few weeks, it’s more likely you will need chemo, I think few people would argue that you should HAVE SURGERY NOW.

And yes, to a woman with an unintended, unwanted pregnancy, it IS just like that.

We don’t have enough information to know whether she broke the law. We don’t know what relief from deportation she may be seeking. For all we know, she is applying for asylum, and U.S. and international law both provide a process for doing so. One way to enter the asylum process is that you show up in the U.S. and convince an immigration official that you have a credible fear of persecution based on aprotected ground (race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion). The persecution can be by the government of your home country, or by nongovernmental forces that the government cannot or is unwilling to control. Some people are released once they convince ICE that they have a credible fear of persecution, and get a full hearing in front of a judge later. But in many cases, asylum applicants are not released, and have no right no be released on bond.

For all we know, she is applying for asylum for reasons tied to the pregnancy. For example, survivors of domestic violence have been held in some cases to constitute a particular social group. Rape is a common manifestation of persecution. Just for starters.

9 days closer to the due date.

Mind you, I thought from earlier articles that she had a sponsor, but it seems that was for legal representation only or something.

So now HHS has 10 days to find this young lady a sponsor, but from the article it looks like it has to be kin; is that right?

AP story here. Quite a bit more detail.

The full U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled 6-3 in favor of the teen.

Now let’s see if it happens.

It happened.

Good job, folks.

Glad to hear that justice was served, at least in this case. Hopefully this young lady can get on with her life, whether that be in the US or her home country.