telephone electrocutions

Supposed to, anyway. Lack of personnel has cut that way, way back. Used to be it was every month no matter what. Now, it can go many moons.

Heh. At least around here, it’s 275 to 1000 gallons. Might last a while, but not running continuously for a couple months, I wouldn’t think.

Most of the site-powering generators today are built to “exercise” themselves once a month or so. ie: The timer ticks off and the thing fires up for a few minutes to keep fuel from congealing, oil from settling, etc.

Whether or not they engage power cut-over is another story. It’s in the “might as well, since the genny’s running” category. And, it is nice to know that it is working right once a month, rather than finding out 30 seconds into a 2-day outage. FWIW, they exercise the whole system here once a year - generally over a holiday weekend so there’s not many people in the building. (We’re stafed 24/7 otherwise)

Back to the phone company - Way back whenever, my father was with Ma Bell, and he told me that the system was set up so that the batteries would enable them to ride out brief outages of a couple minutes. After a minute without power, the generator would start. At the same time, (or so) an autodialer would call the fuel company so they could dispatch a fuel truck immediately. As long as the fuel company kept the trucks rolling, they probably could go indefinitely.

Actually, the lightning arrestor did do it’s job. It protected the phone equipment, the lines & telephones in the house. But modems & similar electronics are much more sensitive than standard phones, and will probably be damaged by surges that an old black dial desk phone will just shrug off.

Quite true! If you have expensive electronics, like modems, digital answering machines, wireless phones, etc. connected to the phone line. having a surge protector in addition to the telco lightning arrestor is certainly worthwhile protection. And cheap, compared to replacement costs!