Tell me about compression socks for edema

Has anyone with edema discovered a familial component to it? My mother (95) seems to have always had what we called “Mom legs.” But now, in speaking to my sibs, they reminded me that her father had edema of his legs as well.

My mom, but she was older when she started to wear compression socks, and generally only wears them when traveling, especially if she can’t get up and walk ever so often. She has varicose veins, but only short ones, and has never been told by her doctor that she needs to get them treated.

Her mother also had the same ankles - my dad refers to them as German legs.

My elderly mother has diabetes and get edema in her legs regularly.

She wears Tubigrip tubular bandages instead of compression socks. We buy it by the 10 meter box and cut it to the length she needs. I or her visiting aide has to put it on for her. She has arthritis and fibromyalgia so she can’t put on socks and shoes herself.

This is what she uses:

https://www.amazon.com/Tubigrip-Tubular-Bandage-Beige-3x32-81/dp/B003XCR7TO/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=Tubigrip&qid=1601775545&sr=8-7

How do the tubular bandages prevent the edema from being pushed down to her toes? I tried open-toe stockings, and my toes became very swollen.

I have open-toed stockings, and was told to make sure that they start just at the base of the big toe, which means my two smallest twos are also in the sock. I haven’t had any problems with my toes getting swollen, but I think they didn’t get so swollen before, either.

I’ve never used them but have seen many people who have. My ramblings:

1. Some people say they are helpful. It would be reasonable to try the thiazide and wear a slightly small, long pair of cheap socks and see if they help. If not, designated over the counters. If not, prescription.

2. Elevating the legs at night time or when possible may be helpful.

3. Walking more may be helpful as the calves help squeeze fluid from the lower leg.

4. Anti-inflammatories for pain may be indicated. It should be considered whether there is an increased risk of blood clotting.

5. Fluid restriction is difficult to do, is under prescribed and can be very effective in some cases. Even doctors do not always consider this option. But it should be used with caution if on thiazide. Your doctor should advise you, and keep an eye on your potassium levels too.

Has anyone else been told the dry brush their legs??

Just saw this. Nope. What does dry brushing supposed to do?

Well, after a hard gallop you take off the saddle and brush down… actually, I just popped in here to say that I could NOT wear the compression socks prescribed by my doctor.

They were way too tight, and impossible to get on (I related to the sprained thumb above). And they had a big hole in the sole… WTF? Who here would wear a pair of any kinds of socks with a hole right where you put your weight… and there was a thick lumpy hem around the hole.

Oh, and they were too thin… my feet and ankles were ice cold.

I despaired of ever wearing compression socks, until I found some that are downright comfy. By my favorite brand: Smartwool. Smartwool Compression Socks! YAY! These may not be tight enough for serious edema, but they’re keeping mine in check. Sockwell also makes some good ones. They go on relatively easily, but are very snug. And warm! Up here in the tundra, we need fluffy wool socks (almost year–round).

I throw them in the washer (cold water, with everything else), but then line dry them.