Tell me about Greek Gyro's. What do they taste like?

Good Eats: My Big Fat Greek Sandwich

There might be useful information there. I enjoyed it when it was on, but there’s no need to make it myself since there are a couple of places near the office for when I want a gyro.

Beware of where you go. One of the things I miss about Chicago is that most of the gyro places there sliced the meat thin, right off the spit old school places would have a guy slice it with a big knife. Newbies use something that looks like a barber’s hair clipper. That left the outside a little crispy and made the sandwich. In Colorado, they slice it ahead of time and put it in a steamer/warmer that lets everything get soft, or worse ye, make it from a sliced loaf like lunch meat. Not nearly as good.

It’s yummy. That’s all I know.

Like this?

Not exactly, that is Shawarma, which is pieces of sliced meat, stacked up and rotary grilled. Gyros is ground meat, stacked up and rotary grilled.

Yes! The best places control the speed and heat of the rotary cooker so the new slices are freshly grilled for each sandwich or plate.

Oh dear!

I think you misspelled “An affront to all that it good and worthy.”

In Chicago, Nikos Gyros on the corner of Elston and Diversey (near Fullerton) is the best gyros I have found on the North side.

Gyros made from Greeks are usually pretty oily. I prefer Italian.
Kidding, I like 'em. Usually get red pepper hummus added for a little spiciness. Dammit now I’m hungry too.

As a point of data, if your local place is advertising Kronos gyros (perhaps the most popular brand, based out of Chicago), it’s either going to be all-beef, beef-lamb, or chicken, as they do not do an all-lamb gyros. Their beef-lamb combination (which I think is the most popular) is 85% beef, 15% lamb.

Tell them about your spice concerns and ask them if you could sample a morsel of the meat/sauce before buying a sandwich that could wind up being inedible for you. I absolutely love gyros.

Kronos brand, eh? 85% + 15% adds up to 100%. I am confused though, what percentage of it is Olympian infants/hidden rocks?

Not in my part of Colorado.

Most generically in the USA they use 98% Beef and 2% fillers that might include maybe some lamb, at the Joe’s Sammitch Shop. :rolleyes:

I can get good ones in Tarpon Springs. They add character and a few of the right things to it all.

I made some 50/50 beef and lamb w/salt pepper marjoram etc…Mediterranean stuff.
Too much effort for a soso meat loaf. The highlight was that the taziki had a real fresh flavor rather than something premixed out of a tub.

Over all it’s not spicey, just a different meld of flavors.

I never had a real one from the mid east yet though. Plain Jane normal and not Americanized.

I hear Chinese food is the suxor in China. So, I dunno about Donners. :dubious:

(i get gyros all the time, before I would get Taco Bell…and I frequent the Belly Dancing place across the street from me…I’, no stranger to the food)

I’m in the Springs. Even the “Greek Deli” does this. I haven’t had a decent gyro since moving here.

I love them with extra hots.

The rest of you can be sad about the meat abominations but this points up is the true crime.

Good Tzatziki is thick with a subtle hint of cucumber and a strong mellow garlic flavour.

Dill? there is no dill in Tzatziki and thin is a crime against humanity :frowning:

Sounds almost like a Turkish variant called cacık. That’s the thin and drizzly stuff (well, it comes in thick and thin variations), and often uses dill (and/or mint) along with the cucumbers.

Have you tried one yet? If so what did you think?