Tell me about Netflix wireless thingy

How does it know I have a Netflix account?

Hey, Chefguy, thanks for starting this thread. I was going to start one myself.

My questions:

1. What is a media pc/computer? Do I even need one? I will be getting a laptop to replace my desktop. Can I/should I use my desktop as the media pc?
  2. I live in a two story duplex. Can I put my router in the basement and still get good quality if my tv is upstairs?
    2a. Which router to buy?
  3. Does a Roku or a Blu-Ray allow me to listen/watch any content as long as it is streamed via the internet? For example, can I listen to local radio stations via their internet streams if I have this set up? Or just stuff like Netflix and Pandora?
  4. There are some tvs that will stream Netflix and Pandora. Is there an advantage of just having that one item over having a tv and a Blu-Ray? (I don’t game, so wouldn’t have an Xbox or Wii).
  5. I’d probably go for a Blu-Ray so I can also watch DVDs and listen to my CDs via my tv. Am I right that I can do that?
  6. Lastly, is there a “Watching streaming video via your tv for dummies” book out there somewhere? I’m not a (total) techno-dunce, either, but it’d be nice to have a basic user’s guide to this stuff.

Thank you, Fellow Dopers.

Even the least expensive Roku box supports WiFi, so I think it would be possible to stream content to the box. The computer isn’t necessary for this, although a router almost certainly is. And yes, you may wish to contact Comcast for guidance. It’s possible that your existing cable box supports wireless. (I know that some DSL modems do.)

1. What is a media pc/computer? Do I even need one? I will be getting a laptop to replace my desktop. Can I/should I use my desktop as the media pc?

Media PCs can be a lot of things. We have a Linux based device (can’t remember the name now) that has a ton of storage, allows us to watch streaming Netflix, Hulu, or downloaded movies or play our MP3 collection. The TV is the monitor and it has a keyboard. But you don’t need one, you do need an internet interface to put things into your queue on Netflix, that can come from your own computer.

1. I live in a two story duplex. Can I put my router in the basement and still get good quality if my tv is upstairs?

Maybe. Depends on the distance, the amount of “stuff” providing interference in between.
2a. Which router to buy?

Pretty much anything currently being sold will work, but you might want to check the supported device list. Router run on standards.

1. Does a Roku or a Blu-Ray allow me to listen/watch any content as long as it is streamed via the internet? For example, can I listen to local radio stations via their internet streams if I have this set up? Or just stuff like Netflix and Pandora?

Blu-Ray is a DVD player that plays Blu-Ray DVDs. Some have streaming capability. Roku only provides a subset of services. I can do anything on the media PC that I can do through a web browser on my own computer. A media PC provides the most flexibility, but is the least “plug and play” of the options currently.

1. There are some tvs that will stream Netflix and Pandora. Is there an advantage of just having that one item over having a tv and a Blu-Ray? (I don’t game, so wouldn’t have an Xbox or Wii).

We don’t tend to do integrated devices because we like to move the devices around. If you want to do this, wait…the bells and whistles being included on TVs is changing rapidly you’ll get more for less in a year. If you want this now, spend $80 on a Roku box and throw it away in a year.

1. I’d probably go for a Blu-Ray so I can also watch DVDs and listen to my CDs via my tv. Am I right that I can do that?

Yes, if the Blu-Ray device also has streaming and plays CDs. Not all do.

1. Lastly, is there a “Watching streaming video via your tv for dummies” book out there somewhere? I’m not a (total) techno-dunce, either, but it’d be nice to have a basic user’s guide to this stuff.

Not that I know of.

When you turn it on and try to connect to Netflix, it will show an activation code on screen. You go to your Netflix account on your computer, and type in that code. Netflix will then contact and activate the device. Takes about 5 minutes all told.

I’ve got two Netflix streaming devices, a 360 and a Blu-Ray player that has wireless connectivity and Netflix. Once you have it, it’s really easy to set up. All of our devices are wireless and we have no issues with connectivity.

The picture on the 360 is better than the Blu-Ray player.

Thank you, Dangerosa.

bump

Any thoughts on use of Range Expanders??

When I dropped the landline, the cable modem no longer had to be near a phone line. So we just moved the modem and wireless router into the living room and made it part of the TV equipment, so we could Ethernet the media computer in instead of wireless. Better connection, and if we need to restart the router we don’t have to step over piles of crap to get to the office. I don’t know why we didn’t think of moving the stupid thing years ago.

I’ve never used them but first I’d make sure your router is on the approved list for the Roku box (see above), then I’d update the firmware in the router, just to be sure it has all the latest bug fixes.

Just got my Roku HD in the mail today and I am already loving it! I’ve been thinking about getting one for a while now, and I finally pulled the trigger this week. Setup was easy as pie. I’m using a wireless connection and it’s working great. The selections available in HD are relatively few, but growing. The Roku HD picture is 720p maximum, so not quite as sharp as a blu-ray or a good HDTV signal, but still pretty good. And you can’t beat the convenience of it.

Time to start whittling down my “Watch Instantly” queue.

I swear I have Netflix streaming into my jugular, I watch something on it so often through our xbox.

Assuming you have a wireless set-up, Roku is easy. I just plugged it into the TV, plugged it into the outlet, connected to the wireless,and got the code to enter into my Netflix and I was ready to go. All told, it took about 3 minutes. I will say, when I first got the Roku, my internet was slow and it was terrible. We even thought about sending it back. Then we moved and got faster internet and it became my best friend. I got rid of cable because there is always something to watch on the Roku. That paid for the Roku in just 1 month!

So can you stream movies in HD? We’ve got a plasma TV, and the hubby refuses to watch anything that isn’t HD. How do they look?

Now that I’ve had the Roku for a couple of weeks, I’ve found that many movies and especially some of the more recently released TV shows in Netflix streaming are available in HD. I’ve been watching *Bones *season 1 streaming in HD and it looks pretty good on my 65" screen. Like I said, not quite as sharp as blu-ray, but definitely better than SD.

I haven’t tried the Amazon on-demand streaming yet, but I got a $5 streaming credit from them when I purchased a couple of blu-rays the other day, so I need to check it out. I think they have some stuff available in HD, too.

Samsung has a very nice Netflix/Blockbuster/YouTube/Pandora compatible Blu-Ray player for under $200.

If you’re ever looking to upgrade your DVD player, it’s something to think about.