Tell me about Odessa, Texas!

I see that you’ve heard of Detroit’s urban renewal initiatives.

Plus, it smells funny there.

So’s the water. You’ll need to buy (if your place doesn’t have one) a reverse osmosis water conditioner.

Ah c’mon. Noxious clouds of methane don’t smell THAT bad.

Back in the 80’s they did a water study and concluded that the water was fine to drink. But you really shouldn’t bathe or wash your clothes in it. :confused:

Um. Forgive me, I’m unusually gullible today. This is a whoosh, right?

No whoosh. That’s really what it said. I was working at a TV station at the time and they spent alot of time trying to parse that one.
Th water is very hard. All those minerals won’t hurt you to drink them, but are very hard on clothing and skin/hair.
I think they have changed the way they treat the water now. It is a little bit better. Still hard water, but at least it doesn’t smell like fish every spring anymore.

The water in TX is horrifying. When my parents moved there from MN my mom got really ill from the water and ended up having to be medicated because of it. It was perfectly safe to drink in that it wasn’t full of parasites or anything but the difference in treatment was enough to cause her serious stomach problems. At first I thought she made that shit up until I moved from Dallas to Commerce, TX for college and, sure enough, I had the same thing happen. It is apparently not uncommon to have negative reactions to the water in parts of TX. The water in Ft. Worth is quite good though.

Okay, but what about the methane?

I’ve lived in Texas most of my life. Houston’s a pretty decent place to live–if not a tourist town. Austin is almost too cute, San Antonio has some excellent qualities & even parts of The Metroplex are livable.

Haven’t been to Midland/Odessa but nothing I’ve heard about the place makes me want to go. Yes, Midland is the “management” alternative to Odessa’s working class reputation; the Bush family lived there until Bush the Younger finished 7th grade…

Small amounts of hydrogen sulfide sure do. And that stuff is commonly found in oil which is commonly found in Texas.

Isnt a big meteor crater near Odessa? That should be good for a day or two a year entertainment wise…

Oh god. When the entertainment center of your town is a hole in the ground, you’ve got a serious problem.

“Smells like money!”, my Dad would say.

The Permian Basin is one huge oil/gas field. The methane is a by-product and is usually evident when driving by a gas field, but will occasionally get blown into town.

In the short term. Long term means kidney stones.

Stay far away.

That was the best 21st birthday bash evah !

Yes there is. At Penwell, TX. Very near the Monahan Sand Hills, also fun!

It really isn’t horrible there. It does have more than the usual number of drawbacks, but the people ar every friendly and used to “immigrants” from both Mexico and “Yankee land”.

They have a minor league? hockey team, a minor league ball team in Midland (I think they are still there), most of your major retail stores/chain restaurants, amazing Mexican food and barbecue and you are a 1-1 1/2 hour flight from Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, El Paso, Albuquerque, Denver.

Almost all of the action that happens in Texas occurs in a triangle described by the DFW Metroplex to the North, San Antonio to the South West, and Houston to the South East. Most of Texas’ wealth, jobs, growth, and political power is inside of this triangle.

I’ve been to Midland several times and I have to say it’s not horrible. It has plenty of modern perks, and is able to attract a few large restaurants and shopping chains. To be fair, Midland and Odessa aren’t really that different from other mid sized towns in other states. The big difference is location - Midland and Odessa are in a very arid area. The towns in that portion of Texas are spaced further apart and are more sparsely populated than the rest of the State so it feels like you are far away from everything! The next town to the West is Monahans and is known for Sandhills State Park. Actually - this is a fun place to visit because you can surf on the sand dunes! If you go, be sure to surf in August for best experience. Only a little further west is Pecos which just exemplifies the desolation of the region.

Midland Odessa is big enough that you will find a social circle of people with similar interests to you. As others mentioned - there is great opportunity to be involved with the community at a level you can’t attain in a bigger area. But frankly, I hope this is a job that is a stepping stone to bigger and better things because that’s an area of Texas you really wouldn’t want to live in more than a few years.

I’ve been there a few time. Dry and dusty… unless it’s gully washing. It does stink (the air) and the water tastes sulfury. Also, imo, it’s ugly. I love Texas but not that part.

There you go.

I have some experience with Odessa. Unless it’s changed a lot in the last years you are not going to like it. I’m not a big city person (lived for 20 years in Green River, WY and loved it) but the few months I spent working there in the 80s were pretty suck.

Hell, I live in Austin, Texas, was born not to far away down I-20 from there (Big Spring), and I wouldn’t live there. Not unless it was a chance to advance professionally very quickly, very briefly.

Let me also explain something about driving in Texas. Our interstates are well maintained but boring as shit to drive on. When I lived in New England I’d think nothing of driving to NYC or Vermont - but even driving to Houston sets me on edge. Dallas - I only fly. That drive is torture. Houston-Dallas on I-45 is even worse.

Midland-Odessa might as well be in another state. As Frazzled noted, I rarely travel outside of the Dallas-San Antonio-Houston triangle.

I should add that West Texas is really beautiful, in a desolate kind of way. I like to dream of making it big in my field and having enough dosh to get a place on the Gulf Coast (Aransas) and out in West Texas (Marfa) to “get away from it all.” But I doubt I’d stay there long. Long enough to write a book or an article, then back to urbanity…

Hippie Hollow:

Marfa is a whole 'nother beast than Odessa. I would live (part-time at least) there or Alpine in a heartbeat. Odessa, not so much.
On another note, I like your user name. I used to hang out there way back in the early 80’s when I was a nubile young thing in college.